Nano and Earth Science

LawLord

Just wondering, why is there no Earth Science forum here?

I would have thought it was a big enough science to have its own forum...

Perhaps a nano science one as well.

Does anyone know of any online nano texts?

I would like to study it. I live in a small town with no access to Nanoscience textbooks or resources.

In the meantime, perhaps someone could answer a question that has been bothering me for a while:

Can Nanoscience/technology be developed in the home? Or does it require large/expensive machines.

How exactly are nano things made?

I would love to be able to make my own nano things... is this realistic (assuming a learn a little more about it)?

Been reading that forum. Unbelievable! People are actually suggesting atmospheric sciences be kept under "Biology".

This is obsurd. Why don't we all just post all the subjects under the heading "Mathematics".

To begin with, "Medical Science" is part of Biology/chemistry.

Why should Medical Science have its own forum, when Earth Science is considered insignificant enough to be spread out across subjects it isn't really a part of...

Where do I go if if I have a question about hail storms?

Can we really expect people to "know" that under these forums, hail storms are considered part of the life sciences but medicine is not?

Where do people go if they have a question about igneous intrusive rocks?

An earth science forums should be created with subforums:

Geology

Oceanography

Astronomy

Soil Science

General Earth Science (Glaciers, rivers, deserts)

I would view having a separate forum for Earth Science far more important than having one for medical science or amateur science...

A new forum opens when there's enough demand for it.. that is, if we see that a certain subject like EAS creates a lot of debate and warrants its own forum, such forum will probably be opened.

So far, though, I'm not sure I see the demand.. most debate about these subjects is spread out between the different forums quite fittingly, it seems.

A new forum opens when there's enough demand for it.. that is, if we see that a certain subject like EAS creates a lot of debate and warrants its own forum, such forum will probably be opened.

So far, though, I'm not sure I see the demand.. most debate about these subjects is spread out between the different forums quite fittingly, it seems.

there's at least two threads open about the subject, and more than a few members who think it to be a good idea. I know that isnt really demand, but it would really help to clear this prblem up.

there's at least two threads open about the subject, and more than a few members who think it to be a good idea. I know that isnt really demand, but it would really help to clear this prblem up.

Right, but two threads aren't really enough to justify opening an entire new forum category. Take into account that each forum category requires a separate moderator, and also requires people actively LOOKING at it to see the threads. If we're only talking about 2-3 threads, then they'd probably get much more attention and debate while in the general sciences category that people *already* are looking at... In this case, splitting it to a new category might actually be detrimental to these debates.

Right, but two threads aren't really enough to justify opening an entire new forum category. Take into account that each forum category requires a separate moderator, and also requires people actively LOOKING at it to see the threads. If we're only talking about 2-3 threads, then they'd probably get much more attention and debate while in the general sciences category that people *already* are looking at... In this case, splitting it to a new category might actually be detrimental to these debates.

yeah, i can see your point. I would volunteer to be the mod for the board, but i suppose that isnt really the main reason. You're right, i dont really see that many threads pertaining to earth sciences, and the ones that are seem to fit correctly in the board that they are placed in.

If you think it's a worthy subject, you're more than welcome to find worthy topics of discussion and start 'em up in the general science forum. It can be a test, even, to see if there are (a) enough stories and topics to talk about in the specific subject, and (b) if there are enough interested parties to discuss them.

We can revisit the issue in a few weeks and see if they justify opening a new forum...