Insulin gene

Trprice

Ok I know this is a bit out of my league but can any one tell me how to Isolate the insulin gene and then inject it into lettuce? I read an article about this but my question is more about the nuts and bolts of the hole operation. And bear in mind I'm not as "Hi tech" as the rest of you folks so keep your words small. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask why you want to insert it into lettuce?

If you think this could insert the insulin gene into a patient that would probably not work as the insulin gene should be digested before absorption, even it is injected directly into blood I just can't see how it would incorporate itself into cells' genomes, and probably into certain cells' genomes.

Check this link out for more information http://greenbio.checkbiotech.org/news/lettuce_diabetes Also please note my question was how to do the gene to lettuce part not if it will work. Furthermore If we stand around saying how things won't work and never ask the question what if it dose work? Then sick people every where should stop spending money on doctors and instead spend that money on a gun and shoot them selfs in the head. I guarantee it will get them the same place quicker as a doctor or scientist who won't ask the what if question? Will slowly... Did that set your brain on fire? I hope so.

Edited by Trprice
miss spelling

The problem here is that the article that presents Trprice is another example of the explanation of a scientific subject by a person who really doesn’t have the knowledge to write that article. However, I, as Trprice, have though that the subject is interesting, therefore, I have looked for the original article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2590789/?tool=pubmed

Diabetes type 1 is an autoimmune disease: the diabetic person’s lymphocytes destroy their own insulin-producer cells. This occurs because lymphocytes “think” that insulin is a toxin, and, as the insulin is on the insulin producer cells, the lymphocytes consider them as strange cells to destroy.

The purpose of this treatment is to introduce in the diabetic person many insulin molecules. They induce tolerance: the immune system gets used to this molecules and it doesn’t recognize them as dangerous any more. Therefore, in theory, the system immune would produce progressively less lymphocytes directed to the insulin-producer cells. The body, in this way would be able to produce again its own insulin.

Zule, I don't think that's right. For one, I don't think the body can recognize the source of a toxin. For another, if it was the insulin that provoked an immune response, then the body would make antibodies against insulin (it is a protein after all). In that case, insulin injections would result in a nasty immune response.

The purpose of the insulin injections is not anything to do with the immune system, rather it is needed for the body to clear glucose from the blood. Too much glucose in the blood can be deadly immediately, and is horrible for long-term health.

Mr.S - You need to review the link shared. While I suppose a semantic argument could be put forth regarding one or two word choices, the description offered by zule is accurate. Zule is not referring to subcutaneous insulin boluses as you seem to think.

Zule, I don't think that's right. For one, I don't think the body can recognize the source of a toxin.

The body recognizes insulin-producer cells ( cell beta from pancreatic islets) because they carry on its membrane the insulin protein.

For another, if it was the insulin that provoked an immune response, then the body would make antibodies against insulin (it is a protein after all). In that case, insulin injections would result in a nasty immune response..

The insulin molecule for itself is too small to prompt an answer by the immune system. It is the insulin joined to the beta cells the one that cause T cells production. This T cells recognize the insulin molecule and cause the destruction of the cells joined to it.

The purpose of the insulin injections is not anything to do with the immune system, rather it is needed for the body to clear glucose from the blood. Too much glucose in the blood can be deadly immediately, and is horrible for long-term health.

That is true, but we were not talking about injecting insulin. We were talking about eating it. That insulin is never going to reach the blood as itself, because it will be broken in amino acids before get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Offensive post was deleted. Please take into account, Trprice, that no one owes you anything. People voluntarily offer their knowledge, and if you have any valid complaint, you should use the "Report" button at the top of such post to alert the moderators and have us deal with it.

• 2 weeks later...

The article said the bacteria in intestine digests cell wall and frees insulin inside cell into bloodstream. But even after the process the insulin should stay in intestine instead of being directly absorbed into blood, further digestion process should be present for intaking 'insulin' into blood. So I'm still confused of how the mechanism works? Yes, tolerance could be induced if the immunogen is present frequently, either in high or low amount, but it still needs an intact immunogen, here, insulin.

And for the problem of if insulin is too small for immune response I'm not sure. If we consider insulin as an antigen, recognised as foreign by the body, why can't it be endocytosed by APC and be presented to helper T cells?