Humans have no true purpose

Zeo

Humans have no true purpose.

And you base this remarkable conclusion upon...

Some people like to think that the human race will amount to something big one day. It very well might happen

So wait, didn't you just say that humans are devoid of purpose? Then why are you making an open-ended statement in which you claim that humanity might have a purpose?

You should really take Philosophy 101 and study atheistic existentialism. People much more intelligent than yourself have been bitching about the purposelessness of mankind for quite awhile now...

I see humans as products of a biological natural selection process who produce memes through a neurological natural selection process and exchange them in a memetic natural selection process (what Dennett called the "Third Age of Evolution"... for those of you who haven't read him he pretty much picks up philosophically where Dawkins left off scientifically)

Before you say humanity has no purpose, you better ask yourself where these natural selection processes are going to take us...

I would say that the "singular ultimate purpose" of reality (which I do believe exists) will memetically evolve through the collective thought process of mankind.

purpose implies awareness.

I know I am conscious' date=' aware, and sentient.

I assume you are too.

Therefore there will be many purposes, some crossed.[/quote']

Exactly. Your awareness of your physical universe implies that we have a purpose in it. That purpose might be very subjective, you might not think you matter, but somebody else could.

This reminds me of a very interesting thing in Kabbalah (Jewish Mysticism). The Rabbi's teach that everybody has a purpose, but you probably don't know what it is. Your purpose in life may be so remotely unrelated to what you think your life is, that your purpose is utterly undefineable. For example, Every event in your life, MetaFrizzics, has prepared you to the point your at right now. Every past experiance and event has lead to a point of physical and mental existance that has lead you to the philosophical conclusion that human beings have no true purpose. Because you deemed this thought worthy enough to post on this excellent message board (due to comparable past experiances, no doubt) it has lead someone on this board to learn something new about a way of looking at life. Or maybe it has lead me to post this information to teach you all about a thing in the Kabbalah. Perhaps you will learn something that you take to heart, so my Hebrew School teacher would have effected your life in ways that he could have never imagined or predicted.

The world is so complex, that the interactions and relationships amoung humans cannot be traced. So, that your actions may have unpredictable results on people you may not even know to exist. Perhaps it is your purpose to effect other people in this way. Which is, I think, a noble purpose.

People under forty are not supposed to study Kabbalah; nor are people over forty supposed to share the Kabbalah's teachings with people under forty.

Non-Jews aren't supposed to be taught Kabbalah either, but that doesn't stop Maddona. Seriously, this is just a tiny little morsal of Kabbalah teaching, don't worry about it.

I truly under stand Zeo the mostest' date=' though! If you really look at the direction we're going and how huge the universe is then you will see that human life is pretty pointless and meaningless. Unless you recognize Jesus as the one true God that gives us a grand purpose and immortality.

I believe that if God never comes to rapture His believers (which He will) we will eventually die because of our factories over terraforming our atmosphere causing something much more catastrophic that global warming.

But who cares. I mean, unless you have God, life is pointless.

See you on the outside.[/quote']

I disagree. I believe we are our own GOD.....we have a light inside of us our eternal light.....in this world all we need to do is clear our karma......and the universe is unlimited.

People under forty are not supposed to study Kabbalah; nor are people over forty supposed to share the Kabbalah's teachings with people under forty.

No need to worry: the true meaning of the Kabbalah can only be perceived by those ready and able to do so.

Wow bascule, could you be any more condescending? Ever think that just maybe if someone gets blasted every time they share an opinion thats unpopular, maybe eventually they won't bother to share their feelings at all? Which ends up being a loss to everyone