Rock recipe?/Geology.

weasel54849

I was just in Kemmerer Wyoming digging fossils in the green river formation, I had a lot of fun, But I do have some questions.

How is that rock formed? What I mean is, what makes it hard? Is it just because it was under so much presser, or was it some kind of chemical reaction?

What is it that makes it split apart? Why aren't the layers cemented together like other places?

And can you give me a recipe for making lime stone? I have tried mixing hydrated lime and water together and adding some presser, But it never gets very hard, it is kind of soft and crumbly. Do I just need more presser or what? Can you tell me how to make it harder without adding any unnatural material?

And I would like details and maybe detailed web links. I hope some one can help.

Thanks.

I hate you!!!(all the fossils in KY are blasted aquatic) . :D - just kidding.

Although my brief fossil hunting in Death Valley, Cali, was fun, but naturally you can't take anything out of there. Grrrr

Here are some linky's for ya.

http://www.usgs.gov/

http://www.fi.edu/fellows/fellow1/oct98/create/

http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/docs/parks/deva/devastrat.html

http://www.science.ubc.ca/~geol202/rock_cycle/rockcycle.html

http://www.ridgenet.net/~do_while/sage/v8i8f.htm

Thanks admiral.

If you ever get the chance to go to Kemmerer Wyoming, go! It is so worth it. And you can bring home tons of fossils, Except for the rare ones.

Is there any way to tell just how much presser the sediments were under? And I read the last link you gave me, Would I be right in assuming you are a creationist? If so that's cool, So am I.

Thanks admiral. Would I be right in assuming you are a creationist?
Aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Haha! Ha. <<wipes tear from eye, binds stitch in side, regrets Admiral's change of signature>>

Whoa. Sorry. Admiral?

Thanks admiral.

If you ever get the chance to go to Kemmerer Wyoming' date=' go! It is so worth it. And you can bring home tons of fossils, Except for the rare ones.[/quote']

I need to, and as soon as I find some time I sure will.

Is there any way to tell just how much presser the sediments were under?
I'm not sure and while I have not heard of such tests being conducted(or possible), thus far, I only had a few courses in Geology(not my main focus for the time being), but I'll look it up for ya.

And I read the last link you gave me, Would I be right in assuming you are a creationist?If so that's cool, So am I.

No, sorry, not a creationist. I had that link/article for a while, but never read it fully, I thought that it was a bit more from a scientific perpective, guess I was a bit off there.

Phi for All, you liked my Howard Stern avatar better than R. Lee Ermey? Hmm, since I can't find Ermey in a bigger size(and too lazy to do it myself) I was thinking of going back to it.

Phi for All, you liked my Howard Stern avatar better than R. Lee Ermey?
I was thinking about the big Darwin fish in your old signature that made your view of creationism so crystal clear. No offense to weasel54849, of course, but I just had to laugh at the assumption. Guess that'll teach you to read those links, admiral! :D

weasel54849, check out the Philosophy/Religion Forum here at SFN if you don't mind a critical look at the evolution/creation debate. Well presented viewpoints are always welcome.

Images in sigs are tacky and anti-social.
I hate signatures period. It's like being clubbed over the head hundreds of times a month.

I do like your "I saw a squirrel" link, Sayo. I've listened to it over 6000 times. Just keeps getting funnier every time. :P

I'm not sure and while I have not heard of such tests being conducted(or possible)' date=' thus far, I only had a few courses in Geology(not my main focus for the time being), but I'll look it up for ya.[/quote']

Hey if you could look it up That would be great. It is just something that I am curios about. In the rock quarry I was digging in, there was what they called an ash layer about two inches thick. They told me originally it was probably about 15 feet thick. That must take an enormous amount of presser! Even a ruff estimate of the amount of presser would be fine.

And thanks for the invite Phi, But I have debated quite a bit on debate forums on the topic of evolution.vs.creation. It take up too much of my time. To be honest evolutionists and creationists all have the same science and the same facts, how we interpret the facts is where we differ. The only thing I do not agree with is the evolutionists story of history and their assumptions. That is the difference, our view of history and our bias.

But back to my rock question. Does any one else have anything to add to it?

• 3 weeks later...