Here Comes Science

bascule

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Comes_Science

Just saw these guys last night... they've kind of been in my collective unconscious since I saw Particle Man on Tiny Toons, but I saw their YouTube videos for their latest album, Here Comes Science, and they're pretty awesome.

What's especially awesome is they released a follow-up scientifically correct version of "

", called Why Does The Sun Really Shine? (The Sun Is A Miasma of Incandescent Plasma):

sLkGSV9WDMA

So yeah, some science-loving nerd rock there for ya. As I understand it, the original song is actually a cover of an educational song from the '60s, so no fault to TMBG on that one, because the song is awesome.

I have to say, when they started playing "Why Does The Sun Shine? (The Sun Is A Mass of Incandescent Gas)", I did really enjoy it. They stopped singing and let the crowd, who all knew every word, sing it for them. It reminded me of the songs we'd sing in pre-school, except this was a huge crowd of people singing a song in celebration of science, as opposed to my pre-school where we sang religious songs. It was a crowd of people delighting in simple scientific truth!

But there was a little voice nagging me in my head... the Sun isn't made of gas, it's made of plasma! The song is wrong! Wrong I say! At that point I had completely forgotten about their follow-up song... (sorry I'm not a huge fan, although I had heard it before)

After they finished the first song, they began talking, and mentioned the song was wrong! The Sun is made of plasma! Then they started playing Why Does the Sun REALLY Shine? I cracked up laughing and thought it was completely awesome.