91% Isopropyl Alcohol

jordehwa

i was walking though walmart and seen some 91% Isopropyl Alcohol really cheap so i bought it.

Is there any safe experiments i can do with this stuff. thanks

REPLY: Hello jordehwa, Isopropyl alcohol is relatively safe to work with. Of course do not drink it, you would get very sick very quickly. Also it is flammable. You seem to have a strong interest in chemistry, but also appear to be more interested in doing experiments than learning much about it. Anyway isopropyl alcohol is an organic solvent. It will also mix with water because it is not a true hydrocarbon. You know you really should google beginners chemistry and learn some of the basics. Just doing pointless experiments is not going to teach you anything. I`ve got to get some sleep. Check into some introductory level chemistry courses. MANY are free. This way you will actually learn the subject. THESE courses describe different experiments for you to do. I did a google search. I would include high school level or why not grade school level chemistry. You need to start with the basics or you will never understand the next level. I would start my google search with : free grade school chemistry courses and do not assume it will be all a bunch of stuff you already know. SEE WHAT`S OFFERED. There will be a lot. Chemistry is a facinatig subject that can lead to a rewarding career. There is no end to what you can learn. It`s one of my favorite subjects. I did think of one experiment to do with isopropyl alcohol,also known as isopropanol. There are almost always different names for the same compounds so get used to that. The experiment I envisioned was to determine how much table salt [sodium chloride ] would dissolve in say a quarter cup of isopropanol. You devise the methodology to determine that. Forcing yourself to really think about how to actually do things can help so much in becoming a good chemist. your friend, ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax