Super-conductors

a super-conductor is a wire [electronics] which has 0-ohm resistance.

right here is what happened [includes background info] there is a problem somewhere, but i dont know what it is.... can someone please point it out!?!

i thought superconductors were possible, they occured when a wire was at absolute zero or very high [dont know how high!]...

according to my friends science teacher, with enough current and/or voltage, ALL wires will melt, due to the resistance...

i said, "no" not in superconductors!

whos wrong.?.?.?

There is a point where superconductors fail, as well. You cannot put an unlimited current through them.

that answers my question swansont, but are you sure, with no resistance, why would there be any heat loss, and if there is no heat then why would th wire melt?

non at all to be honest, I would imagine it would be a variation on a Rho calculation, but I`ve had little experience in the feild of super conductors and couldn`t say with any certainty.

This is just based on what I remember from the group up the hall from me in school, but in superconductors, the magnetic field lines are trapped by the material (flux pinning sites). Above a certain current density (critical current), the flux lines start moving and exert forces on the electrons that destroy the superconductivity. The value depends on the superconductor.

More on the critical current

more stuff

The cartoon I drew using the jargon I learned from that group.

• 2 months later...
a super conductor of a fixed diameter will still only allow so many electrons to flow at a time and at the same speed, therfore there is a top limit :)

therefore if u take the speed of light to be the limit of the electron speed. you should get that top limit where the superconductor of the given diameter fails

therefore if u take the speed of light to be the limit of the electron speed. you should get that top limit where the superconductor of the given diameter fails

Actual electrons don't flow anywhere near the speed of light in conductors (super or otherwise). The speed of the current flow and the speed of electron flow are not the same thing.

Actual electrons don't flow anywhere near the speed of light in conductors (super or otherwise). The speed of the current flow and the speed of electron flow are not the same thing.

ok ok. i am not a physistict. can you explain whats the difference between current flow and the electron flow is

ok ok. i am not a physistict. can you explain whats the difference between current flow and the electron flow is

Consider a train. When the engine starts moving, it pulls/pushes all of the cars along. For electrons, the push goes at the speed of light - when an electron at one end of the train moves, the one at the other end feels it at a time c/L later. But the train itself moves very slow.

But current is the number of electrons moving past a point per unit time. The key here is that there is more than one track - copper atoms, for example, are spaced only a couple of Angstroms apart, and each can potentially contribute a conduction electron to current flow. Here's a quick estimate: a 1 mm thick wire is several million atoms across, or 1012 or so atoms in area, giving 1021 atoms per meter. An amp is 6.25 x 1018 electrons per second, so these 1021 electrons only have to move 6.25 mm/sec to give you that current.

(The thermal speed of the electrons at room temperature is much higher than that, but that's random and doesn't contribute to net current flow)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I believe both super-cooled and "hot" superconductors (or "not-so-cold" more accurately) form cooper pairs. However, there are also certain types of superconductor which do not, regardless of what their superconductance temperature range is.

However, I'm not an expert in the field, but that is what I've been lead to believe through talking to people who are.

Oh, and yes superconductors are the exact same temperature throughout.