Rainwater Collection System

Morse

Alright, for my school, every student has to do an Extended Application project in order to graduate. I decided that for mine I would like to design and possibly implement a Rainwater Collection System. I live in Oregon first of all, because to my understanding different states have different regulations. Here are a few questions I have.

I understand that there are several permits involved (Plumbing, Electrical, Building, Etc.)

A) Do I have to have the permit myself? Or is it required that the installers have it? Because I read that you have to be a certified electrician to have an electrical permit, same for plumbing (makes sense).

What other hurdles besides the BES, OPDR, and local permits will I have to jump? Keep in mind that I am a minor.

What are some things I may want to consider when designing the systems? I will be designing several different versions to cover most of the possibilities of my contractor, and I want to ensure that I don't miss anything obscure before I make the presentation.

Alright, for my school, every student has to do an Extended Application project in order to graduate. I decided that for mine I would like to design and possibly implement a Rainwater Collection System. I live in Oregon first of all, because to my understanding different states have different regulations. Here are a few questions I have.

I understand that there are several permits involved (Plumbing, Electrical, Building, Etc.)

A) Do I have to have the permit myself? Or is it required that the installers have it? Because I read that you have to be a certified electrician to have an electrical permit, same for plumbing (makes sense).

What other hurdles besides the BES, OPDR, and local permits will I have to jump? Keep in mind that I am a minor.

What are some things I may want to consider when designing the systems? I will be designing several different versions to cover most of the possibilities of my contractor, and I want to ensure that I don't miss anything obscure before I make the presentation.

What kind of rainwater collection system? As long as it's not hooked up to the plumbing, you shouldn't need any sort of permit. It's essentially a bucket.

Err, I am going to propose it to my city (Very small city...) for implementation on one of their structures to reduce irrigation costs.

So its going to require use of gutters, grates, pumps, cisterns, roof washers, pipes the whole 13 yards. The variables are essentially if they want it to be underground (Which would require a grading permit), If they want the water to be potable, and how much they are willing to dedicate to covering my expenditures (Which will be determined in part by the first two.)

How difficult is it to make rain water potable? We have a coal fired power plant near me. I would love to use rain water for something other than my aquariums and plants but the idea of radioactive isotopes and heavy metals from the coal power plant bother me.