Need Help.........pls

kaistenolee

Hello Everyone,

I have big problem and need solution.

I am not able to start My XP. I have install dual OS XP and Fedora. I have deleted the XP's C: drive where It was installed.

Now the problem is that I am not able to reinstall it due to fedora's Non Dos partition.

I want to delete the Non Dos partition and install XP back..

I dont want to lose my data on other drives like D:,E:, and F: ..

Is there any solution to delete the fedora an can get my space with XP back???

get yourself a gparted livecd http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

its not a particularly large download and doesn't take up anywhere near a whole CD.

boot up with the CD and delete your fedora partition. then swap gparted for the windows install disk and install it in the empty space being careful to tell it not to install over the whole disk.

Did a restore floppy disc come with your computer ? If so the instructions are there on how to reinstall your OS. You will also need the OS installation DVD. Good Luck, ...DS ...Listen to Insane Alien he obviously knows more about this I do. ...DS

Edited by dr.syntax
addition

i don't think there's been restore floppies since windows 98.

Nope. Nowadays they store a 'factory reinstall' feature in a separate partition. Typically using that wipes the entire drive, though. IMHO, the reinstall partition itself typically gets deliberately wiped by any sensible person installing Linux.

Nope. Nowadays they store a 'factory reinstall' feature in a separate partition. Typically using that wipes the entire drive, though. IMHO, the reinstall partition itself typically gets deliberately wiped by any sensible person installing Linux.

So what does it say about me if I accidentally deleted my Window recovery partition while installing Linux?

Just so you know, it is better to install windows first and then Linux. Doing it the other way results in windows pretending the Linux install doesn't exist, so that you need to re-install the boot loader. Oh and if you need a partition to install onto, make sure you use a partitioning program that doesn't delete all your data.

I realize the above is not very helpful since it is too late to follow that now, but for next time it will save you a lot of trouble.

For now, I suggest that you boot to Fedora, ensure that you have copied all the data from the partition you want to install Windows, and then install Windows on that partition. Windows has the option to delete a partition, and then create one. I think this should suffice. After installing Windows you will need to re-install the Linux boot loader.