What book would you recommend to someone wishing to learn modern physics?

A Tripolation

As an Engineering major, physics courses aren't really a focus for me, though I wish they were. I know a lot of what is considered "classical physics" as that is obviously very important in engineering. But I don't know what "time dilation" is, or what "self-consisting solutions" are, or what the heck String Theory is even talking about.

Could anyone recommend a good introductory book on these matters? I have looked online for some material, but it all seems to require a degree in Physics just to look at it. :D Anything on the level of "educated laymen" would be preferable. I'm thinking of a style like that of Michio Kaku, whose "Physics of the Impossible" book was informative and easy to read.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Is it that the popular one seeks to entertain whilst the textbook is more focused on theorems and proofs and math?

Yes, roughly. A textbook will get you to do some calculations and try to get you ready for the next level while giving you some kind of overview.

So, if you want a textbook on string theory I recommend A First Course in String Theory by Barton Zwiebach.

It's a bit outdated (1997, I think), but it really made accessible this stuff in an approachable way for me...

Black Holes & Time Warps, Einstein’s Outrageous Legacy, by Kip S. Thorne. Loved it. Read it twice.

Another one I enjoyed, but was a bit more on the chemistry side, was: Magic Furnace, by Marcus Chown.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. Any suggestions for one that deals with time and time dilation and relativity and such matters?

I think the best idea would be walking into a nearby university's library (preferably the library of the physics department), grab a few books with promising titles (both, specialized books and books which are part of a course), and browse them for an afternoon. Then, get yourself the book(s) that suited you best. For a non-professional level any textbook intended for (ongoing) professional physicists should be good enough when it comes to accuracy of the content (it probably also is for all professional sub-professor levels, too). So simply sticking to personal preferences (of writing style and content) seems like a good strategy.

Of course this only works if you live close to a university where you can just walk in as an outsider.