BYO town hall quip

padren

This is really more of a 'fun' and very irreverent (do not take too seriously!) thread just to throw out your own little "sound bite sized" quip that you think would be fun to throw out at a Town Hall Meeting, addressed to either side. Maybe it's deep and thought provoking, a ludicrous red herring that elegantly derails a debate with the subtly of a wrecking ball glued to a shark tied to the front of a freight train or just an "oh snap" moment.

The goal is naturally not to get mired in detailed rebuttals to any given sound bite - if you must respond - do it in a very short counter sound bite. Media attention-span sized snippets.

Have fun: :D

To go first:

Target: Pro public option health care TH meeting:

"Why do we decry our poor ranking worldwide for our private health care system and propose a public option, when we do absolutely nothing to improve the ranking of our already public and equally abysmal public education system - do we just not care as long as it's already socialized? "

(My own retort of course would be "Imagine the mess we'd have if we had no public option in education - that would truly be a failure on the scale of our current health care system.")

"No where in the constitution does it talk about our right to healthcare!" :D

Indeed, to speak of a "right" to healthcare is contradictory use of terminology. The concept of a right defines freedom to act within the boundaries of the rights of others. Hence it is contrary to the notion of a "right", to demand and impose demands on taxpayers, and to finance debt through inflation, as well as to impose obligatory servitude on medical practitioners to provide "public healthcare", and this is completely aside of all the other problems of such a program.

But that really doesn't roll off the tongue or fit well on a picket sign. ;) At least it's not fully relevant or accurate, though... So, it meets that criteria.

iNow's right, that would never make it long enough to be shouted at a TH meeting. If prose like that had any place in politics people would actually remember at least something of what Al Gore was always talking about... whatever that was.

Just to be clear, once a town hall meeting has been disrupted, the last thing you want is for it do delve into some senseless exchange of calm rational arguments. You'll be lucky to get a whole sentence out, and if you shout loud enough you can maybe get two into the Mic before someone shouts over you and as long as your two sentences are agreeable to your preferred ideology it really doesn't matter what the content is, as long as it's fiery. You want your 15 minutes of fame on Fox News don't you? You gotta be QUICK!

Edited by padren

iNow's right, that would never make it long enough to be shouted at a TH meeting.

Interesting, the woman who inspired me to write that has recently written an excellent mises.org article on the very subject, and appeared at the

meeting clearly stating the problems with government healthcare.

I also had the pleasure of meeting her at Mises University 2009!:)

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favourite town hall style discourses, with a great retort from Stevey.

US financial newspaper Investor's Business Daily:

"Due to the NHS, that if Stephen Hawking were British, he would be dead."

Prof Stephen Hawkin:

"I am British - moreover - I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the NHS; I owe my life to it."