A Glowing Flower

Kyrisch

So recently I came across this link, illustrating the steps required to make a really cool glowing flower. Having a rather scientific mindset, however, I was immediately interested in how it worked. I figured out that the oxidation of the phosphorus in the match heads by the hydrogen peroxide was created chemoluminescence similar to the effect in glow sticks. However, I have a few questions before I try it myself, and I'm hoping someone better versed in chemistry can help.

Is it dangerous? It seems to me that the mixture of match heads and alcohol would be highly, highly flammable.

How long does it last? There's the lifetime of the reaction, and of course of the flower itself due to the fact that you're injecting chemicals into it.

What kind of byproducts would be produced? Would it be safe to touch the flower during or after the glow has faded?

Should I wear a mask while collecting the match heads? I know that phosphorus is very toxic to breath in, and I'm thinking that there will be powder and mess in the air if I do that to a match.

hmmm... we had something like this recently which was a hoax... it was how to make a tomato glow, and the idea was based on the premise that the match heads contained white phosphorus, which they don't, and havent done for a long time... even the "strike anywhere" ones.

Thank you very much for the heads up! I just double checked and dipped a match in some hydrogen peroxide and nothing happened at all... I would have gone through with it and everything.

I hate bogus science on youtube...

Ohh that match sticks are red in colour mann........I 've seen black ones........ whats the change??

probably a different dye, or perhaps a different chemical... either way, white phosphorus wouldnt be used. it has an annoying tendency to catch fire in your pocket

probably a different dye, or perhaps a different chemical... either way, white phosphorus wouldnt be used. it has an annoying tendency to catch fire in your pocket

That was a problem, but not the reason why it was banned.

This was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phossy_jaw

It hardly matters- there's no white phosphorus in matches.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally!! i tried this experiement 3 times and failed each time. now that i know why it doesn't work, i am still intrigued and would like to know if there is a way to make a flower glow using household items such as these? please let me know. look forward to a response.