Deforming magnetic lines of force...

Externet

A plain bar magnet

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N................................................................................................S

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

above, will produce a given field at point x below :

................................................X

If the ends of the magnet body are bifurcated by slits "===" :

N.................................................................................................S

===......................................................................................===

N.................................................................................................S

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each end will have two same polar N-N , and S-S.

That will make the lines of force at the ends, to diverge, by repulsion to each other.

Will the same point X then experience a larger, equal or greater field ?

..................................................X

In other words, will the magnetic field reach farther or be stronger by slitting the ends of a bar magnet?

[ignore the dots on the sketch]

Miguel

Obviously, the post above has to be very poorly expressed and unclear to receive no responses. Am sorry. :-(

Allow me to ask from a totally different angle:

What magnet shape would project its lines of force further away? A bar, a horseshoe, a plate, a cube, a slitted, a sphere, ...

You don't give enough information to answer really, the size and distance away of the point matter, from a 'large' distance away any dipole with the poles at eitehr ends will look the same...

So depending how far away teh x is will depend whetehr the fields look different or not.

As for your last question something with the metal between teh two poles (e.g. a bar) will have larger distant fields on average than something like a horseshoe I think.... but not 100% sure of that.

Thanks, Klaynos. It was more qualitative and behavioral than specific; but can put some simple generic figures if helps.

A 10cm x 1cm x 1cm magnet bar suspended in space produces a 'small' amount of magnetic field at a point X distant 100cm perpendicular from its center.

Its lines of force 'exit/enter' the ends of the bar magnet describing a certain undisturbed and smooth typical curvature.

Its lines of force reach point X faintly being that much distant.

What manipulation of the magnet / lines of force could increase the magnitude of the magnetic field at X.

See the figure here: http://www.acesinternational.org/images/32NE0014.gif

How 'smooth' the lines of force are sketched entering/exiting the ends of the magnet.

See : http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesize/science/images/sci_dia_75.gif

how the lines of force are exiting/entering almost perpendicular to the magnet end because of the repulsive field nearby.

Is that sharper bend yielding/projecting more lines of force at X ?

It is basic that I express properly my question; please let me know if it needs more improvement.

Miguel