In between

OliviaMcQ

I'm taking a year off between high school and college, which means I'm going to be spending a lot of time away from the science lab/classroom. I love science and I want to continue learning about it, but I need suggestions. What should I do with my year off? What are some good ways to stay involved in science, despite my lack of a higher education?

If you really want to be involved, don't take the year off.

Instead, you could consider to start your education, and study abroad for a year at a later stage.

But if you really want to take the year off, go and travel. Traveling might not be scientific, but it's great for your personal development, which is also an important aspect of life and your future career.

With a highschool diploma you could of course find a job in a company... but it's not likely that you'll do any interesting research that will be of added value at a later stage... although some work experience is always a good thing.

For more detailed ideas, it might help if you tell us which field of science interests you most.

One option just could be to get a job to make enough money so in the summer between the years of your degree you can do work experience relevant to your field and won't have to worry if it is paying you or not. This will mean you have better work experience option due to you already having knowledge from the degree, as well as the university having contact that will help you find a good placement.

The year off really isn't optional for me- if I had my choice I would be going to school in the fall. This is a financial constraint, so studying abroad and travel are not really something I can do at the moment.

I'm interested in Biochemistry, though involvement in either biology or chemistry would be equally interesting to me.

I'm not too far from a NOAA lab facility for climatology, and I know NOAA has a marine biology facility doing oceanographic research in La Jolla, not too far from you. Have you looked into any biology or marine biology jobs or internships?

You may well be able to find a paid internship, I know in the UK they are not very uncommon for research labs. Most of the ones I'm aware of are just holidays, but I know of at least two people who spent a year between college (finished at 18) and university doing paid internships in science.

• 4 weeks later...

i would recommend finding a part time internship that's what i plan on doing while i start my college in the fall

part time is great because u still learn a lot it keeps your mind active and also it still leaves free time for u to have fun!