quick log question

• 1 month later...
My steps can't be shown clearly

Your steps don't make sense.

And another, very similar, justification for a^-y, (using e because I can't be bothered with the subscript, but the argument's the same)

-lnx = y

lnx^-1 = y

x^-1 = e^y

x = 1/e^y

x = e^-y

LaTeX is like TeX (look up the latter when searching on google :P). Generally it´s a tool to write texts. It´s especially usefull for scientific texts (I don´t know a single scientist that does not write his/her texts with LaTeX/TeX) because it allows quite easy implementation of mathematical formulas, including figures, making tables and generally has a lot of features to format your text or assisting you in creating a well formatted text on your own. Firgures, chapters, subsections and formulas are numbered automatically, for example so you can insert a new formula anywhere in te text and don´t have to care about increasing the numbers of the following equations. Texts tend to also look very nice (ever wondered what scientific books are written with? -> TeX). TeX compiles your raw-text into a .pdf or .ps.

You can download it for free (dunno where - beware: My distribution was about 130MB packed). Raw-texts can be written with any ascii-editor but there are specialized editors available. I use TeXnicCenter - it´s freeware and comes close to the more famous TeXEdt.

To use TeX in this forum I think you don´t have to download anything. You can simply write TeX-code between math-tags as dave said (it´s somewhere in the FAQ, i think). If you´re an ongoing scientist or want to write good-looking essays involving formulas for school it might be a good idea to get used to TeX - most love it.