Heat Transfer_plz help!

Guest sciencegirl3_me

Guest sciencegirl3_me

I really really need your help with the following question. I can't seem to find the answer no matter how hard I try. In order to cook a roast, you can stick a metal rod into it as is commonly done in baking potatoes and since heat is then conducted into the meat's interior quicker than directly through the meat, the meat cooks much faster. There is a device, though, called the Sizzle Stick which abandons the metal rod in favour of a hollow metal tube which contains a wick from end to end and water. People claim that the conduction of heat is 1000 better than with the solid tube, and indeed, cooking times may be cut in half. So, my question to you is : Why would a hollow tube like this one be better than a solid one? And why is there water and a wick in the hollow tube?

Please, please, please answer!

Thanking you in advance,

Jenny :confused:

water being a liquid transfers heat better, and due to convection currents would carry heat more specifically, metals hold heat more whereas gas's and liquids dissapate heat faster aswell

water being a liquid transfers heat better, and due to convection currents would carry heat more specifically, metals hold heat more whereas gas's and liquids dissapate heat faster aswell

No, water does not conduct heat better than metals. See here. Metals tend to feel cool to the touch (compared to other materials at ~room temperature) precisely because they conduct heat well. And a small tube probably isn't going to have convection.

The roast is largely water already. Adding a water tube isn't going to change anything. Jenny- without a better description of the device I can't be sure what's going on. Do you have a link to a picture? An online ad, maybe?