Life definition.

AtomicMX

Means, biology is not constant, is not accurate, and is not more than taking notes, and well is subjective because biology can be managed from very many point of view, and in physics for example. as physics law will be always the same liking it or not.

No offence intended, but you are clearly speaking from ignorance. 90% of biology is maths. The other 10% is some of the most rigorous peer review you will ever see. If you think physicists all have the same point of view on the subject you have been grossly misled somewhere.

I did started the other one first (thread), i did this one in order to see which one you consider the life definition is.

And yes you can sayonara, actually i did already.

It proves biology is not a science. and i´ve thinked it much hard.

Somewhat pointless, since there are plenty of threads on the subject already that do not start with a completely biased point of view.

Also my point was that you ought to understand what the currently accepted definition of life is before starting a thread about whether or not it applies to computers; and you clearly do not.

If you disagree take one of my challenges and prove it the science way.

I have already responded to one of your challenges.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW More than math are statistics... and probability.

and much chemistry.. and biologist notes btw.

and about the life definition, i started that thread by the cause you said, but actually there is a life common life definition.

All this troubles of conceptuality come from the subjectivity of biology.

BTW More than math are statistics... and probability.

and much chemistry.. and biologist notes btw.

Having studied biology for a good number of years and earning my degree in that subject' date=' I think we can take it for granted that I don't need you to tell me what is involved in the biological disciplines.

and about the life definition, i started that thread by the cause you said, but actually there is a life common life definition.

Tell all.

All this troubles of conceptuality come from the subjectivity of biology.

No, I don't think so. I think it's more likely they come from you not knowing enough about biology to come to accurate conclusions. Anything will seem subjective if you don't have the information you need to objectively evaluate it.

• 2 weeks later...
Biology is supposed to be a science. then...

Which is the approved life definition "by the science"?

Life is incredibly complex so you are never going to a get a nice all-encompassing definition which you can put into one sentence. Although there are some grey areas still under debate, nearly all biologists would agree with the following characteristics of a living organism:

1) able to metabolise - that is they can use energy to accumulate, modify, produce and eliminate materials which are necessary for growth and reproduction.

2) have the capacity for growth, development and reproduction.

3) contain DNA which provides inheritable genetic traits.

4) use homeostatic responses to minimise the effects of changes in the environment.

5) show adaptive potential which will allow them to respond to long term changes in their environment through evolution.

6) cell theory also tells us that all living things are made from cells.

I suppose they include RNA with the DNA definition..... or not?

Kind of, as RNA is synthesised from DNA, however it is responsible for protein synthesis rather than genetic traits. The reason RNA is not specifically mentioned is because it is not present in viruses or certain primitive procaryotic cells.

i really dont care about what you consider a life form or not...

what i care is about definition because those definitions and concepts where made for people to understand things.... why does biologist can't build one concept... and if they found another thing to be some sort of life form.. give it another name.. like.. LifeB or Life2.... or what i know...

Biology is supposed to be a science. then...

Which is the approved life definition "by the science"?

i was taught that life is defined (according to science at least) by genetic material. the first form of excepted life in the evolutionary process were "Prebiologicals," and they were also the first animate matter that contained genetic material. RNA.

---

personally, i believe that "life" is defined by a chemical equation that we cannot see. everything in life is carried out and exists by means of a chemical equation, so "life" is just another chemical equation which humans have yet to understand.