The new look

I think indexing the forums sections the new way doesn't improve or help all of them. The "last post" feature on right usually lets one know if a new post were made under Classical, Quantum Theory, Relativity, Modern, etc. But the new setup eliminates that convenience.

Under the Physics heading, for example, it's less clear which section the "last post" belongs to.

So in my opinion, at the very least you might want to revert Physics back to its original format, while possibly leaving the other changes intact.

Just some points to consider.

The trouble was discoverability: the index page was so long that you'd never reach the bottom to notice that we have a Suggestions forum, for example.

I'd suggest that if you're relying on the forum index for catching new posts that you use the Get All New Posts link (top, under New Posts) or subscribe to specific forums (go to that forum, find Forum Tools and subscribe). You can view your subscriptions within the UserCP and see all the new posts in forums you subscribe to there.

When vBulletin 4 comes out we'll probably restyle the forum index anyway, so this won't last forever.

The trouble was discoverability: the index page was so long that you'd never reach the bottom to notice that we have a Suggestions forum, for example.

Well I gotta say everything's more viewable at once, that's for sure. Maybe you have a point. I'll give it a bit of time to adjust.

You do a great job usually in the rest of the forums though.

I like the new look, change and innovation is dear to my heart!

People are so reliant on what they know....I tell these people to leap into the pool! and then I ask them why they listen to me.

Let's keep this look for a while.

Many of us (including myself) are hardcore conservatives and we don't like change. But we should be ignored, because we fight change just because it's change.

Change means we need to get used to the new style... and we can no longer navigate through the forum blindfolded... Which is why any (negative) comment from frequent posters in the coming days should be evaluated for conservatism.

Conservatism is no reason. In fact, conservatives will also fight the next change so we can keep this new one. :D

Personally, I feel a bit lost in the new layout. But I'll post again what I think about it in a couple of days.

Is anyone monitoring the number of visits per day of the individual subforums?

I was wondering if there is any change since we have the new look. I can imagine that some forums are visited more frequently now, while others are less popular (because they're harder to find).

p.s. I got used to the new look, and I don't mind the change, but I also don't see many benefits.

I think it's a bit confusing that places like physics and chemistry have a main "physics" forum, and then 5 subforums - rather than making all subforums under "science" equal. But I got used to it, and I have no problem finding anything at all.