Help with making a program.

Hello, so I am trying to make a program just for kicks, but I am just lost, I have read several little articles and step by step instructions, but It just never seems to work.

Ive learned a bit of programming language {not sure what, just stuff I have picked up reading}, and I keep typing this stuff in WordPad, and then I save It as an .html, but how do I load It? When I just go to my computer and open It up, the words are all mixed with other little words signifying things like //par/ and stuff like that showing that I had a paragraph there, and It Is still in WordPad.

Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone be kind enough to give me the basics of programming?

Thank you.

Unless you are planning on making a web page and learning PHP or ASP you might want to switch to a language that makes applications. First look up HTML codes and HTML if statements. Then look up Microsoft free downloads, assuming you are just trying to learn how to make cool stuff happen............ When you've mastered the conditional statement, loops and variables might I suggest choosing an application............. maybe Homo Ludens!

I was actually starting to try and make a program, thats not web based, just a little game-like program on my computer. Is that possible? What would I use? I really dont know much about computers, But Im working on it.

thanks for all the {really quick} help.

I'm not even sure if computers have this anymore, but you could do something like you posted in QuickBasic... That's what I did back in the day when I was a young lad pounding away on my dad's computer... except, I made mine play sounds out of the tiny little speaker our 286/AT system had.

You can make a web page with flash on it................ the SEPY editor is a good programming environment(a replacement for the flash code editor(actionscript)) but flash will cost you money. This is assuming you want to do anything interesting of course, like web based Homo Luden applications :D....... someone may argue otherwise! :P

I've added a link to my student page in my signature it's a good example of web based things that can be done............. 5 minutes is flash and might be slightly operational(click on the cd)..........it might take a minute to load(the web page)!

Edited by buttacup