Keratin-eaters

Hi:

Let's say that some of what originally fit the category of "my favorite bacteria" -- described here http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40732 -- mutate into pathogens that feed on any and all forms of keratin.

What would happen to me if I was infected with that bacteria? Since keratin seems to make up the already-dead parts of our skin, hair, and nails -- I doubt an infection would cause me any fatality or permanent disability.

I'm guessing my skin and hair would become unusually soft and smooth due to the loss of keratin. There would be an awful body odor from the bacterial degradation of keratin. My skin would be coated in pus, as my immune reacts to those bacteria. Do I guess right?

Thanks

The idea is too speculative to say much about but, without the keratin in your skin you would die from dehydration pretty fast. If you avoided that somehow then secondary infections would finish you off.

What if the lost keratin is replaced with an equal volume of elastin?

Hi:

Let's say that some of what originally fit the category of "my favorite bacteria" -- described here http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40732 -- mutate into pathogens that feed on any and all forms of keratin.

What would happen to me if I was infected with that bacteria? Since keratin seems to make up the already-dead parts of our skin, hair, and nails -- I doubt an infection would cause me any fatality or permanent disability.

I'm guessing my skin and hair would become unusually soft and smooth due to the loss of keratin. There would be an awful body odor from the bacterial degradation of keratin. My skin would be coated in pus, as my immune reacts to those bacteria. Do I guess right?

Thanks

Since keratin is the primary component of your hair and epidermis, it would probably render you bald and flayed. Think "burn victim" over 100% of your body. Your epidermis is the first defense against infection, so you would be extremely susceptible to opportunistic infections. It would be a real fight to survive.

Wouldn't be pretty...