Hydrogen Isotopes

YT2095

H1 we`re all familiar with, but H2 and H3 (Deuterium and Tritium) Hydrogen isotopes as found in "heavy water".

I`de like to know if H2 or H3 can exist as a gas or form a Hydride, 2 questions in one really.

I`m interested in the properties of these, especialy as a gas, and potentialy in reactions that employ Neutrons as part of the reaction process.

thanx all :)

boiling point of deuterium=-249.49° C

boiling point of tritium= i couldn't find it, but i could imagine it would be a bit higher than that of deuterium.

i'm sure that deuterium and tritium can form hydrides; atomic mass doesn't change bonding properties.

I was wondering if DNO3 or TNO3 could exist instead of HNO3?

sure, in fact, you probably have synthesized quite a quantity of DNO3 and perhaps a bit of TNO3 in all your HNO3 syntheses. there's a deuterium isotope for every 6,000 protium atoms. again, the atomic mass doesn't effect bonding properties; you will be able to make HNO3, DNO3, TNO3, H2SO4, D2SO4,T2SO4, CH3COOH, CH3COOD, CH3COOT, CH2DCOOT, CHDTCOOH, etc etc.

and would there be anyway to free the excess Neutron in a tritium reaction?

nuclear fusion of 2 deuterium atoms yields a neutron and He3. fusion of deuterium and tritium yields a neutron and He4. the half-lives of D and T are both quite long...

no, there is no sane way to forcefully remove a neutron from deuterium or tritium.

I`ll be the judge of what`s sane and what isn`t :))

I know lithium deuteride can be used as a yeild enhancement when cased around an atomic device, I was thinking of something much more sedate :)

I was wondering if DNO3 or TNO3 could exist instead of HNO3?

and would there be anyway to free the excess Neutron in a tritium reaction?

I was just thinking about this a little more, then, it dawned to me. Why shouldn't it form DNO3 and TNO3? Since they both are isotopes of hydrogen, they behave exactly or very similarly as normal hydrogen!

chemicaly they should be identical as near as dammit :)

I`m just wondering how the the excess neutron can be exploited as a potential energy source?

an whether it could be liberated during a powerful chemical reaction perhaps?

That is not any of my business. They use these isotopes of hydrogen (as heavy water) when making the hydrogen bomb. I think it is because of these neutrons, it meakes them give off lots of energy. When a hydrogen bomb is being detonated, it produces nuclear fusion and behaves like a star! Similar, not exactly though!

I was just thinking about this a little more, then, it dawned to me. Why shouldn't it form DNO3 and TNO3? Since they both are isotopes of hydrogen, they behave exactly or very similarly as normal hydrogen!

i guess you missed my previous post:\

I`m just wondering how the the excess neutron can be exploited as a potential energy source?

the neutrons can be exploited...think fusion. that's the only way. it's impossible to have a chemical reaction that yields a neutron. only nuclear reactions can do so. radioactive decay fusion and fission.

chemicaly they should be identical as near as dammit :)

That's the kind of thinking that Pons and Fleischmann had. The reality is that no, you aren't going to get nuclear reactions with chemistry - there are a few orders of magnitude difference in the energy scale between the two.

if it can exist as a gas, and that gas is under low pressure and an electrical charge passed through it to make a plasma, like a neon sign but using Tritium gas instead of neon. I`m wondering if the neutrons could be freed up?

then as an extention doing the same thing using an Ionic solid containing the Tritum isotope, giving a much more dense source that would last longer :)

if it can exist as a gas' date=' and that gas is under low pressure and an electrical charge passed through it to make a plasma, like a neon sign but using Tritium gas instead of neon. I`m wondering if the neutrons could be freed up?

then as an extention doing the same thing using an Ionic solid containing the Tritum isotope, giving a much more dense source that would last longer :)[/quote']

The ionization energy of Hydrogen is 13.6 eV. The energy to remove a neutron from T is 6.25 MeV.

Hmmmm. 6,25`s a bit out of the question here, just a fraction under 1mev sure, then we`de be cooking with gas :)

not to worry, it was just 1 of a few ideas I was bashing around for the sake of the old grey matter :)

Cheerz :)