What are higher dimensions for?

I always thought there were only 10 Dimensions?

Height' date=' width and depth, all 3 of these exist in the Past, the Pressent and the Future. making 9 dimensions, the Present 3 converge to make the NOW, being the Tenth (where we reside).

it always seemed to make sense to me? :)[/quote']

By the number of spacetime dimensions we mean the number of coordinates necessary to specify the location of something. In particular, to specify location in time (past, present, future) we need only one parameter, usually called t. For example, if we define the present, as usually done, to be at t=0, then the past is given by negative t and the future by positive t. So you see we have three spatial coordinates and one time coordinate and hence four dimensional spacetime.

Regards,

Jana

Since space=time and space is multi-dimensional, it makes sense to me that there is no need for multiple temporal dimensions.

Where would parallel universes fit in? I've read recently that GR is thought to be spread across parallel universes and thus is weakened when localized to our own universe. Greene also suggested this in The Elegant Universe.

I only rem what I was taught :)

the Time Coord works in - or + or now numbers, along with spatial coords. I`ve forgoten alot, but it`s really not all that complicated in laymans terms :)

[edit] it doesn`t run incongruent with the Parralel Universe idea either, the coords needed will take you back to that specific juncture in time and may well split, like a `Y` shape, taking a certain course of action different from the original will split to the other outcome (universe).

there`s no conflict :)

(even though I don`t go along with this parralel universe idea)

Where would parallel universes fit in? I've read recently that GR is thought to be spread across parallel universes and thus is weakened when localized to our own universe.

I believe you are referring to "braneworld" scenarios. The idea is that the universe consists of three dimensional slabs, called branes (short for membranes) embedded within a higher dimensional space. We live on one of these slabs. The idea is that these branes interact with the higher dimensions and each other only gravitationally, with all other interactions (electromagnetic, strong, weak) restricted to individual branes. The weakness of gravity compared to the other interactions is then a consequence of this.

Branes world' date=' Branes world, party on, excellent :))

forgive my imature outburst there, It was just TOOOOO tempting! :)[/quote']

No prob dude! These forums are pretty boring alot of the time because nobody seems to have much of a sense of humour. So my new rule here is always go for the laugh.

well the way I figure it, is if you can`t make a joke or have a laugh at your own expense, or try to see the the funny side of things on occasion, we`re all DOOMED! to boringness!

so anyway, back on topic, 10 dimensions explained, or 4 as a boiled down version (meaning the basic 3 and time), can`t be incongruent with coords for any destination OR the parallel universe ideas :)

YT, I was hoping you'd say, "Way!"

I believe you are referring to "braneworld" scenarios.
I am. Has there been any correlation between higher dimensions and parallel universes?

I guess there really is no answer to my original question about the functions of higher dimensions, since they are completely theoretical and are only required to make the maths work in string theory. I can also theorize, based on what perspective the third dimension gives the first two, that each successive dimension is dependent on those beneath it to make it necessary. The fact that our eyes are not made to view above the third spatial is easily acceptable to me. Might there be ways of perceiving higher dimensions other than visually or mathematically?

These forums are pretty boring alot of the time because nobody seems to have much of a sense of humour. So my new rule here is always go for the laugh.
Go here to see the Official Jokes section of SF. It was YT's idea and one of his best!

When you've picked yourself off the floor, come back to this thread though!

I'm, like, totally charmed by the rockin' idea that you proposed about each of the 3 dimensions being able to party on in like the past, present and future, dude! This would mean that Time would like have fixed axes for movement in each dimension, like wouldn't it? But if temporal movement in the past was backward, and movement in the future was forward, like which way would you party in the present? Chuh, its like boggling my tiny mind, dude!

Whooooaaaa, chill dude! like what`s the "tiny" refference to? <snigger> <shoulder butt> <snigger again with air guitar>

picture this <swirly dream scape> you`re with this really hot babe yeah, but then you see another really hot babe, and then you forget about the 1`st one, and you`re with this mondo cute babe NOW, but hey like you can`t forget the other 1`st one right, so she`s like TOTALY PAST, but still real in the present (but changed coz she`s like all pi$$ed at you and stuff).

now could you imagine what would happen if those 2 babes were to meet up coz like you wanted both of them? NO WAY would that happen! <dream swirly fades a bit>

and so you`re back to reality (BOGUS!!!! I was enjoying that).

but in all frames they each had their Sooo Sweeeet Curves in all 3 dimensions :)

but wait!

what is that I see? an even Cuter Babe coming way NO WAY! Way, I wonder what her 3 dimensions will be like in the future?

maybe not the most splendid of examples, but so totaly worthy of a <plays air guitar>

high 5 :)

Okay, so you're like making out with Madonna, Whoa! (air guitar!), in the past, and suddenly she like gets into the Kabbalah and wants you to call her Esther in the present (BOGUS! Like who makes out with a chick named Esther?), and you're thinking, "Dude, if you slip her the tongue now (snicker, elbow), what'll she want in the future when she gets into like Scientology?", then what was time doing? Did it party on in the same direction or did it rock in ways we cannot comprehend? Excellent question!

(Swirly dream sequence) BRANES WORLD! BRANES WORLD! Party on, dude! (Fade the swirlies and cue reality) Excellent!

he`s a seperate issue to be dealt with later :)

but as for now 10 dimensions, it`s not in conflict with anything other than the over complicated stuff that keeps .Gov grants flowing into unecessary projects (my opinion).

10 is all you need (as a bonus it assists typing skills too) :))

• 4 weeks later...

An intriguing topic indeed...

The question of the meaning of higher dimensions has been a longstanding issue in physics. For the history of this debate, I refer you to my new book about dimensionality in physics. It describes the search for a multidimensional unified field theory, from the work of Einstein, Kaluza and Klein until the present (superstrings and branes). It is full of interesting anecdotes, gathered from interviews with pioneering physicists such as John Wheeler, Bryce DeWitt, Lisa Randall, Raman Sundrum and others.

The book is called:

The Great Beyond: Higher Dimensions, Parallel Universes and the Extraordinary Search for a Theory of Everything by Paul Halpern

Here's a link for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/047146595X

Regards,

Paul Halpern

http://phalpern.com