Virtual Reality Helmet.

dstebbins

I was just watching a rerun of the Tonight Show.

Scientists say they have developed a "virtual reality helmet" that recreates the sites, smells, sounds, and tastes of any environment. They say you can put this helmet on and it feels like your outside. Or, you could go OUTSIDE!

However, that news point doesn't say anything about the sense of touch. This would severely limit the possibilities of this helmet. I mean, if you can't feel where you are, then I guess... so much for having a roller coaster in my own home.:(

I mean, it's a helmet, isn't it? Can't they just cause the cranium part of the helmet to transmit messages to your brain, and therefore to the rest of your nervous system, to simulate these feelings?

But, I guess it isn't entirely worthless. I mean, I'd love to be able to go see a live professional wrestling show whenever the hell I feel like it, instead of waiting patiently for one to come to my area. I don't have to feel anything except excitement and adrenaline when I'm doing that.

However, even if it can have its moments, I think these moments will be short, few, and far between, due to the vision problems associated with having a TV screen flash videos less than an inch from your eyes. Nintendo Virtual Boy, anyone?

So, what during that rant was true, not true, and partially true?

In addition, I have trouble focusing on anything other than your signature. Is there any particular reason why you think that your signature is the most important thing in your post (because it does get the biggest letters).

In addition to what?

Anyway, it's just a signature. What's wrong with it? It's not like I have a picture of two guys kissing in it.

:c ???

I don't have any idea where that thought sprang from, though completely irrelevant and probably not the best comparison to make. He just means because the sig is much larger and a different color than the rest of the post -therefore detracting attention from what you're saying

having a VR helmet would be pretty sweet though, I would definitely use it for the forces of evil =D

Regarding adding sense to a VR helmet:

I think anything other than perhaps water drops (like rain / fog) will be incredibly hard to imitate. I don't think we're so advanced that we can send some signals to a brain and make it think it's in a rollercoaster.

I'm not an expert in the field of the human brain, but hooking my brain up to a VR helmet in order to have a 100% real feeling still doesn't seem to do the trick. I mean, what if you want to take a virtual nap? If you put your head on a virtual pillow, you probably still feel the very real helmet. So, not only do you have to give the person feelings, you also have to "remove" some.

I thank you for making your signature smaller.

• 4 weeks later...