Use of diuresis against toxins and hydration regulation

Joeboy

Hi all,

I was thinking last night of an awful situation I had a couple years back where I had drunk far too much alcohol.. then I thought: surely there's a better way of flushing it (without radical medical procedures like stomach pumping) out of the body than just "waiting it out" whilst someone is in such a state..

If Bob is highly intoxicated with alcohol after a good night out (that happened to go a little turbo..), could he consume a diuretic substance in addition to a good quantity of water to catalyse the flushing process? (Kind of a #2 but related to alcohol): Also, would use of a stimulant help reduce some of the alcohol's depressant effects? If both diuresis and CNS stimulation both help, then use of Ephedrine would surely be helpful..

This led me to think: let Alice consume an anti-diuretic substance such as MDMA (methylenedioxymethamphetamine - "Ecstasy" - illicit but indeed consumed). Is there any reason why Alice should not use a diuretic substance to help her urinate? Almost all causes of death resulting from MDMA are related to (hyper|hypo)hydration; regular urination would surely encourage usual levels of drinking/hydration.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I was thinking last night of an awful situation I had a couple years back where I had drunk far too much alcohol.. then I thought: surely there's a better way of flushing it (without radical medical procedures like stomach pumping) out of the body than just "waiting it out" whilst someone is in such a state..

If Bob is highly intoxicated with alcohol after a good night out (that happened to go a little turbo..), could he consume a diuretic substance in addition to a good quantity of water to catalyse the flushing process? (Kind of a #2 but related to alcohol): Also, would use of a stimulant help reduce some of the alcohol's depressant effects? If both diuresis and CNS stimulation both help, then use of Ephedrine would surely be helpful..

If you add a catalyse, which would have to be intravenously injected into your blood stream (how fun would that be to try when your drunk) it would break ethanol down to ethanal which is far more toxic to your body, especially not confined to the liver cells where further enzyme catalysis can occur.

Then he consumes a diuretic substance, well the closes to hand is the vodka, might as well start on that. In all seriousness it really isn't a great idea to try and dehydrate yourself further after being so intoxicated you think you need your stomach pumped, however much water you are drinking.

A stimulant won't do the opposite effect to a depressant and if you get that depressed maybe drinking in the first place isn't the way forward.

Adding adrenaline to the mix is probably a good way to giving yourself cardiac arrest due to alcohol already having the secondary effect of raising the heart rate due to vasodilation occurring.

By the time you are that far gone the best solution is either to throw up or drink a load of water and eat some, fatty and salty food, or both.

This led me to think: let Alice consume an anti-diuretic substance such as MDMA (methylenedioxymethamphetamine - "Ecstasy" - illicit but indeed consumed). Is there any reason why Alice should not use a diuretic substance to help her urinate? Almost all causes of death resulting from MDMA are related to (hyper|hypo)hydration; regular urination would surely encourage usual levels of drinking/hydration.

Yes the vast number of people who die from MDMA...

The amount of people die from MDMA is ridiculously low each year. Taking a diuretic wouldn't help as the reason people drink water is because they feel thirst, it doesn't stop urination, people consume too much water and become hyponatremic, the ideal situation would be to given them a glucose-saline solution, but I don't think most clubs sell that.

Edited by Psycho

It's a risky strategy to try to "titrate" drugs against eachother this way- trying to offset the side effects of one drug by using another is rather complicated.

Trying to do it while pissed is probably suicidal.

Try just giving the body time to recover.