MIAC Report on The Modern Militia Movement

ParanoiA

I was hesitant about posting anything on this, as I wasn't sure how national this story has become. Locally, they're making a stink about it.

The MIAC (Missouri Information Analysis Center) is a fusion center, according to Wikipedia, that merges information from Homeland security and I guess a host of various agencies, including the Missouri Highway Patrol, for fighting the war on terror.

Well they released a report, The Modern Militia Movement which supposedly dishonored Ron Paul, Bob Barr and Chuck Baldwin by mentioning that militia members often sported their names on bumper stickers and the like, and supposedly suggested these symbols as a "mark" for militia identification. This created an uproar, while Alex Jones and Rush made a stink out of it and before you know it, it's a controversy.

This report is heavily associated with Missouri Highway Patrol and articles read like it was generated from them. And in fact, they have officially retracted the report, apologized to the three former presidential candidates, while the Lt. Governor, Peter Kinder, conducts an investigation into the report.

Here's the story: http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/1109096.html

So, here I am all prepared to be offended as I read the actual report only to find this little paragraph on Political Paraphernalia, top of page 7 of 8, where they mention that militia members commonly associate with 3rd party political groups, and how it's not uncommon for militia members to display essential libertarian material. And then they mention they are generally supporters of Paul, Baldwin, and Barr. I couldn't find anything that said tackle them, strip them of their rights and throw them in Gitmo.

So what the hell is controversial about that? I think it's true isn't it? The report doesn't say, go out and arrest everyone with a Ron Paul bumper sticker. In fact, the report doesn't say to do anything at all with that information, it's just providing the profile of modern militia members.

Anyone care to comment? I'm not getting the controversy here.

So what the hell is controversial about that? I think it's true isn't it? The report doesn't say, go out and arrest everyone with a Ron Paul bumper sticker. In fact, the report doesn't say to do anything at all with that information, it's just providing the profile of modern militia members.

Anyone care to comment? I'm not getting the controversy here.

Simply said, it's 'Illegal Profiling', under today's definition of 'Political Correctness. Then there is no evidence that supporters of any party are likely to be members of anything, much less something that might be involved in illegal activity. Then technically 'Freedom of Speech' (bumper stickers) cannot be used for probable cause to either take extra precaution or intimidation of a motorist (in this case).

Missouri, has always been a little far out of the norm, going back decades. For a generation, truckers would by pass Missouri in total to avoid Inspection/Weight Stations and if you drove a flatbed, you became a target.

Not that they are alone, out of State license plates will also get you stopped in many towns, or along the towns by pass, by local police.

Having said this, I understand profiling is a viable tool for law enforcement, their investigating process, determining potential principle suspects and that stopping a vehicle can be dangerous, but do not think it's the purpose of any agency to link party affiliations to potential problems.

So Jackson, you think Rush Limbaugh is upset at the "political incorrectness" of profiling based on political affiliation?

Anyway, I think if there's no evidence political bumper stickers are the basis of persecution of some kind, there's nothing to make a stink about. What exactly is the stink, anyway? That it's political persecution? That associating libertarians with militias is libelous to libertarians? That militias are every red-blooded American's right and duty, and any action to restrain them is fascist?

So Jackson, you think Rush Limbaugh is upset at the "political incorrectness" of profiling based on political affiliation?

Anyway, I think if there's no evidence political bumper stickers are the basis of persecution of some kind, there's nothing to make a stink about. What exactly is the stink, anyway? That it's political persecution? That associating libertarians with militias is libelous to libertarians? That militias are every red-blooded American's right and duty, and any action to restrain them is fascist?

I have no idea, where Rush Limbaugh came into this discussion and I don't oppose bumper stickers. I do oppose profiling or that a State Agency, made such a profile part of a strategy. I'll add IMO, law enforcement people(prosecutors to police/highway patrol) tend to be conservative and many probably voted for Barr, Paul etc....

I don't keep up on the KKK, the various types (agenda) of said militias or for that matter Islamic Camps. If you feel membership is a personal right, that's fine with me, so long as no laws are breached...