Urgent!

Mr Rayon

Hi everybody! I will be doing a practical report tomorrow but I don't know what one of the equipments used in the experiment is called. I tried to research it but I couldn't find out more. It sort of looks like a comboplate...but I really don't know. Any ideas on how I can find out more quicker? Any reliable sources?

It's sort of hard to describe how it looks like...basically it is like a white tile with circular indentations all the same length in diameter. In the experiment we poured a solution into the "circular indentations" and recorded our observations within a restricted period of time.

Any help will be appreciated!

What observations were you recording (changes in current/volts, spatial dimentions etc..)? What was the liquid. Is the tile a single piece or is it seperated into two sheets like a capacitor? Are there any wires on it. And again - what measurments were being taken?

Well, I'll just type up what's on my practical sheet.

Procedure

Part B

Diastase, also called amylase, is an enzyme that breaks down starch molecules into separte glucose molecules. Iodine is a stain that turns blue-black in the presence of starch, but stays yellow-brown when starch is not present. Therefore, the colour of iodine is an indicator of how much starch is present.

1) Label five test tubes 1,2,3,4 and 5. Two groups should label another five test tubes C1, C2,C3,C4 and C5 to act as controls.

2) To tubes 1-5 add 5mL of diastase solution, and to tubes C1-C5 add 5mL of distilled water.

3) Place the tubes in five water baths with temperatures as shown in Table 3.2. Leave in the water bath for 10 minutes and then remove.

4) While waiting, test a drop of the diastase and starch solutions for starch with iodine. Use the colour of this starch test as the maximum colour for later tests in the tubes.

5) Allow the test tubes to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes, then add 5mL of starch solution to each tube and stir. Use a sperate glass rod for each solution.

6) Test each tube for starch by placing a drop of the solution (from glass rod) on to the white tile and adding a drop of iodine solution. Record the colour as blue-black, dark blue, light blue and so on.

Sorry, took me a while to find it.

Answers to your questions:

The tile is a single piece it is not separated into two sheets like a capacitor.

There are no wires on it.

OK - I see where you are coming from now. It is just called a 'White Tile'. It is quite common to use a white tile as a background to check subtle changes in colour of a solution.