New to Astronomy

Oracle

I've just recently begun to learn about my fascination of astronomy and would like to know of some sources you would recommend me that are good for beginners.

I just got a course from The Teaching Company called 'Understanding the Universe: An Introduction to Astronomy, 2nd Edition' (http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/CourseDescLong2.aspx?cid=1810) which is a series of 96 lectures - so that should keep me busy for some time.

I also want to get a telescope later in the year so if you guys could recommend something that is good that would be great. I was looking through some on ebay which were about $300-400 but since I don't know what to look for exactly, I don't want to buy crap.

Thanks in advance.

:-)well, i dont know about learning websites, but i know space.com is a great website for astronomy and space in general. i go there almost as much as here.

as for a telescope, it depends on what you want exactly. if you want some real quality stuff, id suggest to go online to the orion website and check them out. they also have some good cheap stuff too.

My cousin has a 10" and I was impressed with what I could see. He indicated that would be a maximum size for most home astronomers. You really need to be away from city lights for best results. Setting one up each time you use it does require some work because of alignment and tracking motors.

I've just recently begun to learn about my fascination of astronomy and would like to know of some sources you would recommend me that are good for beginners.

I've recommended this book before, but I'd get 'The Backyard Astronomers Guide', by Dickinson and Dyer, pretty much everything you need to know to get started is covered.

Also, give some thought as to what you want out of your telescope...e.g do you want to get hands on, and use setting circles, or do you want a motorized mount. What type of objects are you really interested in, deep sky objects, or planets et.c When you've given this some thought, then it'll be time to start recommending a telescope.

I've recommended this book before, but I'd get 'The Backyard Astronomers Guide', by Dickinson and Dyer, pretty much everything you need to know to get started is covered.

Also, give some thought as to what you want out of your telescope...e.g do you want to get hands on, and use setting circles, or do you want a motorized mount. What type of objects are you really interested in, deep sky objects, or planets et.c When you've given this some thought, then it'll be time to start recommending a telescope.

Thanks, I checked the preview on amazon and looks great.

As to the type of telescope I'm not sure yet either to be honest... I'll come back to that when I've done more work.