visual similarities between magnetic fields and wavefunctions

gre

What's the (wave) function for the magnetic field lines on the CRT? Also, will the patterns change if the magnet on the screen is heated or cooled, or if the electrons in the tube change velocity?

Anyone?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Because both can be expressed with similar functions, i.e. they have the same symmetries. Choose the right function, and they will look similar.

Yes, but do you think there could be similarities at a fundamental level as well?

You'd need to know information about the magnets and what kind of field you are getting — do you have a dipole? a quadrupole? Some linear superposition? — and what the screen looks like with no fields around and possibly more, to make even a qualitative statement about the pattern on the screen.

There are, but I've put single neodymium magnetic up to a TV/crt screen and the same pattern will appear. And if there is just "static" on the screen, the same pattern will as well (with slight color variations).

There are, but I've put single neodymium magnetic up to a TV/crt screen and the same pattern will appear. And if there is just "static" on the screen, the same pattern will as well (with slight color variations).

Looks to me as if the results are VERY variable...

The colours will depend on the CRT used. The shapes will depend on the magnet, it's shape, orientation, distance from the screen etc... There are ALOT of variables.

Looks to me as if the results are VERY variable...

The colours will depend on the CRT used. The shapes will depend on the magnet, it's shape, orientation, distance from the screen etc... There are ALOT of variables.

I'm mostly wondering about the general shape of the field/electrons, not so much the colors. Apparently the TV crt produces a different pattern than a monitor crt (if the video above is using a regular 2-pole magnet) ..

Here's a video by MIT's physics department. This was done with a older TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbzBTdU7iRU&feature=related

Another question:

Would the temperature of the magnet also affect the pattern shown on the screen? For example, if the magnet was cooled to (near) absolute 0, would the pattern still be the same?

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by gre