Where can I get/make KCl

11gernez

Salt substitutes, depending on brand, may only be part KCl and even when mostly KCl, usually contain fumed silica, potassium bitartrate, adipic acid, and whatever constitutes natural flavors. These ingredients are either for flavor modification (it is quite nasty alone and at best poorly improved by the additives in my opinion) or useful as anticaking agents.

In some areas, you can buy KCl in 40lb bags as sodium free water softener salt. They will probably be between $15 and $25 but they're much more pure and cheap than an equivalent amount of salt substitute and will last you essentially forever unless you're using them for their intended application.

You can recrystalise it from salt substitue and that will get you a pure enough product for most things. What do you want it for?

I've done this with nu salt brand. The hot solution was filtered through cotton and came out perfectly clear. The cryatals were washed with ice water. Upon heating, they turned brown. bitartrate clinging to them I suspect.

I am using the KCl to make KNO3 (KCl + NH4NO3 -> KNO3 + NH4Cl)

I will try to recrystalize it from salt substitute. I am a little unclear on how to do this. Do you just supersaturate hot water with salt substitute and let it settle?

Thanks,

Zach

P.S. sorry for the delayed post...

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I just found this...

This explains some more about recrystalizing the salt substitute.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5773

So... the KCl will crystalize and the other substances will remain dissolved?

Thanks,

Zach