Able to raise my blood pressure & pulse at will

Greetings All

I'm wondering what makes it is possible for me to be able to raise my BP and pulse whenever I want by simply "willing it" (for a lack of better words)? I can make it happen instantaneoulsly. I've been able to do this since I was a child.

In addition, this is even harder to explain, I'm able to "flex" something inside of my ears!

I must sound like a nut job, and cringe as I'm writing this:embarass:. Just wondering what makes it possible for me to have this weird and obviously useless ability that I've told NO ONE about. Can anyone else do this? Thanks in advance.

I was surprised to see you talk about the flexing in your ears, for I too, have been able to do so for as long as I can remember...

Tell me, do you hear a sort of "rumble" when you flex? Also, I did some research awhile ago, and found that the theory is that one could potentially control the tiny muscles attached to ones ear-drum, creating the rumble as the muscle doesn't pull consistantly.

I'm wondering what makes it is possible for me to be able to raise my BP and pulse whenever I want by simply "willing it" (for a lack of better words)? I can make it happen instantaneoulsly. I've been able to do this since I was a child.

Pretty much everyone can. All you're doing is triggering deep neural pathways to the sympathetic nervous system.

The ears thing is just a muscle which some people can control while others can't.

Mokele

Pretty much everyone can. All you're doing is triggering deep neural pathways to the sympathetic nervous system.

Mokele

Wow! Had I known that pretty much everyone can do this, I wouldn't have been wary of posting this :).

However, I'm still not clear on how one is able to trigger deep neural pathways to the sympathetic nervous system by "deciding" to elevate one's heart rate while quietly sitting still :confused:. Be gentle with me. While I'm not a member of Mensa........:)

There's a lot of different little pieces that go into this concept, but since you're pretty new to it, I'll keep it at a high level (also, I'm pretty rusty on this stuff).

We have a part of our brain near the stem that controls our breathing and heartrate. For example, we don't just stop breathing when we fall asleep and are no longer consciously aware of doing so. This part of the nervous system does it by itself.

However, through our higher level functions in the brain (the parts we use to do math and figure out puzzles and do higher reasoning) we can override the more basic survival parts of our brains. The example I will give is... holding your breath. We breathe automatically, but we have other parts of our brain which can override that automatic response. We can breathe faster, we can breathe slower, we can stop breathing altogether for some limited amount of time.

It's the same thing with our heart rate. Just because it's automatic and it beats all by itself through the more "unconscious" parts does not mean we cannot override those parts and "speed it up" or "slow it down" at will.

Like I said, not a lot of detail in this post, and I kept it at an extremely high level, but I hope it gets the point across and helps you to feel more comfortable with the idea.

I learned about my ability to keep my heart rate lower through conscious attention when I studied kung fu. We'd do some serious cardio, and I had to find a way to bring my heart and breath under control before we began the next set. :)

Like I said, not a lot of detail in this post, and I kept it at an extremely high level, but I hope it gets the point across and helps you to feel more comfortable with the idea.

Thanks, iNow.

Your explanation made it crystal clear :).

Interesting that you mention applying this ability to your Kung Fu workout. I, too, have utilized this while recovering between sets of body building. Especially on "heavy leg day". TMI here, but many leg days I've pushed myself so hard that I end up vomiting :eek: . In instances like this, I personally find that it's VERY difficult, if not impossible, to lower my heart rate....no matter how much mind over body control, if you will, I attempt.

Thanks again for the info. It's appreciated.

TMI here, but many leg days I've pushed myself so hard that I end up vomiting . In instances like this, I personally find that it's VERY difficult, if not impossible, to lower my heart rate....no matter how much mind over body control, if you will, I attempt.

The vomiting is caused by metabolic acidosis from excessive strain. Your body is basically over-riding all conscious control in an effort to fix the problem.

It's also a sign that you're over-doing your workout, and should ease back. Constantly screwing with your body's pH can cause heart damage.

Constantly screwing with your body's pH can cause heart damage.

I do over-do my workouts. Never took the reason for vomiting into consideration. I'm trying to be healthy, not keel over from possibly self-inflicted heart damage!! **Banging head into wall few times :doh:**

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it is sort of a "rumble" sound. Kind of like while yawning. I've noticed that as I get older I'm not able to sustain the "flex" for as long as I used to.

My guess would be that you're tensing a cranial muscle, and creating enough vibration in the process to vibrate part of the sound conduction apparatus (either your eardrum, or the bones connected to it). I can do that too.

You can actually do quite a few things with sufficient practice. One of the early demonstrations for "biofeedback" was to train people to make their hands warmer at will (basically a matter of dilating the blood vessels in the hands).

Grant