Chemistry Problem

joml88

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beleive it`s actualy radioactive too, I know it decays in almost no time flat, hence 17 atoms is an average esstimate, taken at any given time.

when you think about it, there`s nothing we could even use to store it in! :)

of course, of course. and yeah, it's a shame that we can't make a stable isotope of Fr. perhaps that should be my life's work. only problem is that i'd never be able to make a decent amount of Fr; it'd oxidize instantly when in contact with just about anything.

yt, do you know how many At atoms have been in existence on earth at any given time? i know it's indredibly rare also, but im just curious as to how it compares with Fr

yt, do you know how many At atoms have been in existence on earth at any given time? i know it's indredibly rare also, but im just curious as to how it compares with Fr

no I don`t, sorry :(

I do know also that it is rare and radioctive though, I did a search a few years ago for Lithium Astatide, wondering what the probability of it`s existance would be, being as they seem to be the least reactive if you don`t count Hydrogen, there were no results at that time :(

maybe you could do a search now and get a result, I don`t know? but when I looked there was nowt LOL :)

One isotope of Francium (223Fr) has a half life of 21.80 minutes, made by alpha decay, and is normally studied in laser atom traps. Astatine can be produced by bombarding bismuth with energetic alpha particles to obtain the relatively long-lived 209-211At, which can be distilled from the target by heating in air.

See?

This was the problem, and somehow I got involved with a conversation about acids and alkalis :)

This problem seems really easy (and probably is) but I am troubled by it for some reason. I can't remember it exactly because it was on a test in my high school chem. class today.

What is the pH of a solution that has 12.00 g Na(OH)2 and 250.0 mL H2O?

to put the poor guy out of his missery, look for a calc that`ll give you a Ph of about 4.5 to 4.44 (avg 4.47(ish)).

that`s an "off the top of my head" figure from memory, but do NOT take my word for it!

I COULD be wrong!

well I am working from memory that was about 20 year ago with a similar (if not the same question) and I rem 4.44 as being significant, same as when I had an Avogadro party when I was 23 and we played a Molarity game WITHOUT CALCULATORS!

as well as Guess the Element and Beer for Reaction Loser, sad I know but I was only a kid then and it was fun :)

I`ll go with 4.47 on this one tho`, and yes I really COULD be wrong! :))

it`s nice when folks have faith in you, but faith and Science don`t always make good !