Chemistry Problem

joml88

Nothing on google too, it takes me directly back to the science forums archive :( I guess only Wolfson knows. As for the strongest acid, I read that it was Antimony (not atinymonkey :) ) pentafluoride dissolved in hydrofluoric acid!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

antimonypentaflouride isn`t the strongest, it IS strong, but not in comparison to say, Sulphuric acid, basicly when you add water to it, it liberates Hydrogen Fluoride, which quickly dissolves in the water to make hydrofluoric acid. and as we know, HFl(aq) as compared to others may even be considered weak.

Strength of an acid is measured in PH, the lower the PH the stronger the acid.

dillution (unless extreme) does not alter the PH :)

[edit] are we talking the traditional definition of an acid? or are we incorporating Lewis definitions also?

the only real problem that occurs with some acids on dillution is the proton exchange viability, hence a "nitrating mix" likes to to have a good 98% H2SO4 and a good 70+% HNO3 in order to work effectively. other than that a 50% soln or a 98% soln of sulphuric acid for instance will be just as STRONG as each other. it`s got nothing to do with dillution, and everything to do with the Ions in it :)

Sorry, I don't quite follow... what is the % actually a measurement of? I'm assuming now that it doesn't have anything to do with concentration. Do you mean that the 98% conc sulphuric is 98% dissociated, and the 50% is 50% dissociated, so that once the free protons in each are used up more will be produced by the undissociated acid molecules and you get the same number of moles of protons in the end?

If that's the case they should still have the same strengths, but different pH's due to different H+ concentrations, but then they should have different strengths, and, and...

*head explodes* Sorry, I've just been doing chemistry all day, maybe I'm confused here :/

The strength of an acid is determined by its degree of dissociation. Complete dissociation of an acid molecule means that all of the H+ (hydrogen ions) are free and able to react. Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is one acid that dissociates completely in H20 and is considered one of the strongest acids. Hydrofluoric acid (HF) is often considered stronger because the fumes that it releases are very toxic and it has the ability to dissolve glass, but technically it is a weak acid because it does not dissociate as completely as HCl.