The show "Numb3rs" and the classroom..?

mooeypoo

Hey,

This week the skeptical podcast "Skepticality" had an AWESOME interview with the producers of the show "Numb3rs" (you can find it here, as episode #092) well worth a listen.

If you don't know what this show is about, go to its official page or wikipedia, both have a fairly good description. I really recommend watching it, though, it's AWESOME and depicts math and sciences and general skepticism in a very good light. I never thought math could be this interesting and fun (and I'm a physics student! ;) )

Anyways, what I found most interesting is that a question was raised about the educational system and this show. Specifically,the producers were asked about allowing this show to be featured in the classroom as an educational aid -- which is pretty smart in my opinion, given as it usually has relatively advanced mathematical concepts portrayed through a suspense/thriller show. But they remarked that getting it into schools is hard because of the companies that are currently in the market, and because mostly, the educators prefer not to "pitch" watching TV.

But the producers then said (and I agree) that kids watch TV anyways, so allowing this into the classroom as a tool is giving the educator the opportunity to guide the students into thinking afterwards, or giving them specific excercizes about whatevr was discussed int eh show, etc. In short, making them like math!

So I was wondering what you guys think about such shows entering the classroom.. do you think it's a good idea, and that the educational system is holding on to an archaic notion, or do you think we're opening pandora's box here, perhaps allowing for not-so-good TV to get in as well..?

Another point I was thiking, btw, is that bad-education and bad-influence already exists, sadly, in classes anyways. I am having a hard time seeing any negative to putting this in the classroom at all. Any thoughts?

Edited by mooeypoo
adding links!

I don't know if it will make them like math, but it shows that math has applicability. But the problem is that the math in the show isn't really accessible to them — they never really show the math, only the analogy of why it applies. But they do teach rigor and skepticism, to some extent, which is good. That's something that could be discussed in a class.

If there were a way to tie this in with simpler problems that the students could actually solve for themselves, I think it would be more useful.

I'm not an avid watcher of the show, but I guess it would make the field more exciting in class, and as Swansont said, it certainly shows how wide the application of maths is. It does gloss over the details, which is understandable, most of the principles are far beyond high school level (or whichever level will be considered.) However, as a tool to influence a class, and make the subject more lively I think it would work.

I think it's also a case, that numb3rs is quite a unique show, and it's the best that's out there that (although it doesn't go into much detail) uses the correct principles for certain situations....AFAIK. They don't make up any old rubbish, and so at least the source of the information for the classroom is legitimate. Which is more than can be said for other programmes.