Folding Paper

foodchain

Could “time” possibly be defined basically by the geometry of any particular system? Say you take the universe at any particular time, such as if you take a snapshot of a system, then not observe that system, then take another snapshot at a different time could being discrete like that still allow for say finding what governs the system?

Such a simple example I think of course would just be on earth with someone dropping something. Yet as I would like to phrase my question, which is difficult for me, is can you apply such to the universe? It would seem if that laws of nature did not change in time that such should be able to explain the big bang, not saying anything is wrong or on the wrong track, just if that is really possible or even feasible.

Which leads me around to my point again. If we substitute my erroneous use of the word geometry with say conservation of energy, does such need to hold regardless of anything else, from one point in time to another the energy is the universe should remain constant right? With the expansion of the universe though and of course whatever the big bang is or was, can you say conservation of energy is or is not holding?

Simply put if conservation of energy does not hold does that mean time cannot be used to describe it? Or is time autonomous really from energy and its conservation?

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. But here is an equation about the folding paper:

L = pi t/6 (2^n+4)(2^n-1)

where: L = length you need to fold a piece of paper of thickness t a number of n times. :)