Getting into genetics

tech19

Reading is a good start. Whether in a library with books or online.

Unless you mean sex. In that case, use a condom.

Kidding aside, your question is incredibly non-specific. Can you clarify what you want to do so the members here can offer you their personal advise on the matter?

I want to study genetics because its really interesting to me, but I don't know how to jump into the subject. My biology class hasn't started on genetics yet and when we do I don't think we go into it so I need things like online resources names of books stuff like that. thanks for all replies.

Your best bet to start off with is to familiarise your self with the basic tenets of Mendelian Inheritance, I'm sure your school library should stock some books on the subject. As for websites, as much as I hate to recommend it I would perhaps try Wikipedia and follow the references there. Alternatively google "genetics education resources", I'm sure that'll turn a few hits to keep you busy for a while. If you have specific questions then feel free to ask away, the chaps and chappettes on this forum are well clued up on pretty much anything.

I never know what to google, so a few suggested keywords for good starting subjects:

evolution

central dogma

dominant recessive co-dominant alleles

mendilian genetics

DNA

or just 'overview of genetics' or something.

fyi, the two main types of genetics are population genetics (dealing, unsuprisingly, with the allele frequencies within a population -- looks at the processes of evolution, etc) and molecular genetics (deals with the molecular underpinnings, e.g. dna replication, allele promotion, etc).

Check out some textbooks on the subject. I'll echo Dak and suggest getting familiar with the central dogma and Mendelian inheritance above all else.

My recommendations:

Central dogma

Mendelian inheritance

The structure of DNA and RNA: Phosphate-sugar-base, negatively charged phosphate backbone, hydrogen bonding, et cetera

Basic mechanisms of eukaryotic and prokaryotic replication, transcription, and translation

Eukaryotes: learn about histones; Prokaryotes: learn about supercoiling

Evolution: a little bit of population genetics, phylogeography, and phylogenetics

Know the basics, don't worry about the details only until the basics make sense. For eaxmple: don't worry about overdominance and underdominance until you thoroughly understand dominant and recessive alleles. Don't worry about the names of all the proteins responsible in DNA replication, just know about the basics.