the fact that global warming is forcing plants to move up to higher alt.

CrazCo

As you posted these questions in the homework section, one has to presume that this is homework. We have a policy here at ScienceForums: We don't do your homework for you. We instead help you do your homework for yourself.

So, what do you think the answers to your questions are?

There are a quite a bit of obnoxious intellects that will ridicule my thoughts so I try to avoid putting them up.

I just don't know the answers to these three questions. ~

Oh, grow up. We're not going to do your work for you, but will gladly help.

Do you not even know where to begin? What class is this for? What have you been discussing? Why might your teacher be asking this? What have you done already? What do YOU think the answer might be?

Oh, and look up the word "ingrate" while you're at it.

it's an independent thing not in class

and i know what an ingrate is but i don't see how it can be applied to me. I thank people every time they help me and you know that as i have thanked you many times... so please stop falsely insulting me

I've read a couple, but National Geographic seems to be a big name and I just found this one.

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/06/080626-plants-warming.html

Maybe after perusing it I will discover my answers.

Okay. That provides some context. Thanks. I'll offer you my preliminary thoughts, but encourage you to keep looking on your own.

1) What is being done to stop this?

I'm not sure, nor if anything really can be done. As part of nature, these plants will go where they survive best. Since we are changing the climate, they are surviving better in different areas, and often surviving worse in areas where they previously lived.

The only answer I can offer is that we are trying to curb the impact humans are having on climate change, but when you look at how slow this is and how many people are still perpetuating denialist lies, it's tough to be optimistic.

2) Why do plants that live longer tend to move slower up?

Be cautious with how you phrase this. You make it sound as if the plants are putting on a pair of boots, grabbing a backpack, and trekking up the mountain in search of new opportunities.

What's really happening is that plants lay their seeds, and those seeds either grow new plants or they do not. With the changing climate, some seeds just don't germinate like they used to, and they have to find a way to sprout in different areas. Some get carried by wind, some are eaten and pooped out by animals, there are many ways... but whatever happens, some seeds will be more likely to grow into full plants than others, and location has a lot to do with this.

If the conditions are better at higher altitudes, then those plants which got their seeds to higher altitudes will (after time) out reproduce those which did not.

3) Why don't the plants just adapt to the temperature change and stay where they are?

Well, they ultimately have no choice. Plants are rooted to the ground. Therefore, the ones that can't get their seeds to new locations will eventually parish. Those that can get their seeds to new locations will start new colonies. Just recall that plants are limited in many ways. Those that have characteristics conducive to survival will survive. Those that have characteristics which used to be good, but aren't good in new environmental conditions will die.

Basically, nature is going to make the choice for them. The ones that cannot adapt to the new conditions will not reproduce. The ones that can adapt will reproduce, and eventually, you'll be left with plants suited to their current environment.

I'm not sure if that made any sense. Can you please summarize for me in your own words what you think I just said?

Thanks!

In summary

1) There isn't anything the plants can do to stop this from happening. The only thing that can be done is for us humans to contribute the least amount possible to the Earth's temperature increase, but this is a slow process.

2) I'm not sure I fully get what you're saying. But are you hinting to the fact that the longer-lived species of plants have more adaptable seeds and thus are able to germinate in harsher climatic conditions. Therefore while the long-lived plants are don't find the necessity to move upward because they are are still able to form plants on the current area and on the other side the short-lived plant species seeds are unable to survive in the present climatic conditions and thus new ones solely form on the higher areas about being transferred by winds or animals through excretion..?

Sorry if I am way off, I just didn't catch the long live-short live connection.

3. In short the quick change of climate limits the plants reproductive abilities and they will die out without making anymore plants on the same area and therefore they must 'move' forward.

Now you're talking! Well done.

I totally screwed up question 2, and forgot the original question. My bad.

Here's my speculation. Longer lived plants are likely to reproduce more slowly than shorter lived plants, therefore, shorter lived plants will be easier to see adapting to climatic changes.

So, you have a forest of trees that live 200 years each. Those trees, once established, will be there for a very long time, regardless what happens to the climate (although, many might die).

You also have a flower living below those trees that only lives one month. We're much more likely to see the effect of climate on the flower since it has to respond so much more quickly to change or become extinct. The tree, however, might be able to ride it out until conditions are favorable again.

I'm just guessing here, though. I'd also question how confident you are that "as a rule" plants that live longer won't be seen changing their locations as quickly. The above was all speculation based on the assumption that #2 is true (which it very well may not be).