Street art in England vs. America

bascule

It's not as worthy of insult and derision as you might believe, ParanioA.

Three videos at the link below of police holding press conferences on these issues.

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2008/09/do_the_saint_paul_police_need.php

I know these anarchists. Well, of course, I don't know any of them personally, how would that ever happen. But clearly, and you know this is true from seeing the films, that the great bravery of the officers that is emphasized in these videos ... in their fight against the dangerous intimidating masked criminals ... is significantly overstated, absurdly touted. These anarchists are mostly 17 to 23 year old suburbanite turned urbanites, college students, untrained and inexperienced in the use of weapons or hand to hand combat.

Hey, big scary police guys wearing body armer and carrying big sticks, you do realize do you not that half of these dangerous masked criminals you felt so threatened by are girls wearing sun dresses (and goggles), and the other half, if you met them on the street, you would call fags?

Why are you so frightened of these people? These kids are not even close to the threatening hoard they are described as being. The kids themselves are indeed brave, if possibly (or possibly not) misguided, to stand up to the police like this, and apparently, the scared the shit out of the Men in Blue. And Black.

What seems most important here is the statement, again and again, that the police are wonderful and have acted in a most heroic manner. How much of this absurd, offensive, and totally unbelievable rhetoric is an outcome of the shift from viewing first responders (police included) as people doing a tough and important job to viewing first responders as saints, martyrs, and in essence, semi-demi-gods who are above the law, an attitude which in my opinion has arisen as an effect of 9-11?

In the meantime, we have calls for investigations of the Saint Paul police for their use of excessive force, and some very serious questions about the treatment, indeed suppression of the press.

It's not as worthy of insult and derision as you might believe' date=' ParanioA.

Three videos at the link below of police holding press conferences on these issues.

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/20...olice_need.php[/quote']

Well I don't mean to sound insensitive about the obviously mild nature of the crime, but I feel partial to the officers as well. They're made up of people, and they have tough, thankless jobs, the majority of which have to live down the negative actions of a few, and never be remembered for the good.

So, it's difficult for me to really have much sympathy for these fellas. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "against" what they're doing really, it's rebellious and has its mystique, but you have to pay the price to earn that mystique, obviously. They need to quit bitching and man up. You go into this knowing it's illegal and that jail is possible, so crying about the rules after you get caught is just teenager behavior.

That said, if they really were roughed up or whatever, obviously that's wrong and they should stick it to them. But if it turns out they're just whining because the police exercised the full extent of the law, then I don't feel sorry for them.