George Washington's warning about political parties

JEQuidam

Does George Washington's warning about political parties resonate with Americans in 2008? Or will this just not make sense to people?

"The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge natural to party dissention, which in different ages & countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders & miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security & repose in the absolute power of an Individual: and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty."

— George Washington, September 19, 1796

George Washington spoke at length about the "baneful effects" of political parties:

http://www.thirty-thousand.org/pages/Baneful_Parties.htm

I think if Americans better understood what was happening politically in the country in 1796, in particular the struggle of Federalists and Democrats and how it played out over the first few administrations, it would improve their understanding of what's happening in the country in 2008.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite precedences of George's. One of things I really appreciate about Washington is that he seemed to have understood the importance of setting the "above party" tone for the presidency and was largely followed by Adams, and all out abandoned by Jefferson. I'm a little angry at Jefferson for how he treated Adams and his approach to party politics. I've always felt we all have our roles to play, but the role of the president, and even legislators, is a different role from you and I.