Chemical Test for Unsaturated Compound

Guest jaydee

Guest jaydee

Hi,

I was wondering what chemical test you could perform to identify an unsaturated compound.

Thanks.

Jaydee

Guest jaydee

So, putting bromine water with any unsaturated compound, (any alkene,alkyne etc) will result in making it go colourless?

What I mean is, can this test for 'any' unsaturated compound, eg. if i mix say.. ethyne with bromine?

Guest jaydee

Ok thanks, very cool.

Um, I know when a hydrocarbon is 'completely' combusted, it gives us CO2 and H2O, what if its 'incomplete', what does it give us?

• 1 month later...

yeah, what's really disturbing is that a 50% solution of HF:SbF5 is 10^18x as acidic as conc H2SO4. if you drop a candle into it, the candle will cease to exist quite quickly. if you stick a hand in it, your hand will cease to exist quite quickly.

the most acidic substance i've ever worked with is a saturated solution of HCl, and that dissolved a small piece of styrofoam within seconds. imagine conc HF:SbF5

I`m fairly sure polyprop plastic doesn`t, as for the metals I`m not sure off the top of my head, but it`ll be something quite ordinary, just as Nitric Acid can and is safely stored in Aluminium containers :)

Antimony Pentafluoride attacks glass copper and lead, but other than that, if it`s kept perfectly dry, it`s quite safe :)

take a peek here too :http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0220.htm

• 1 year later...

the reaction is an anti addition. the electrons from the pi bond of the ethene attack one atom of bromine in the diatomic molecule, causing the electrons from the sigma bond between Br and Br to go to the Br atom that was not attacked by the pi bond. simultaneously, the Br attacked by the pi bond puts a lone pair of electrons on the other carbon, making it bonded to two carbon atoms and positively charged. finally, the bromide anion performs an sN2 reaction, attacking one carbon, inverting the stereochemistry and causing the electrons from the C-Br+ bond to go to the bromine atom.

Step 1:

Br-Br

H2C=CH2

Step 2:

Br-

H2C(Br+)CH2

Step 3:

H2BrC-CBrH2