Ideas

Dave

Was just wondering whether anyone had any ideas as to how to get more people posting on these mathematics forums more frequently. We definately don't have the largest userbase in the world, but I think it's a shame to just let the forums go to waste.

The competition idea was a good idea (I think), but I didn't get too many replies from it. I think I may have made the problems too hard, and this put a lot of people off.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them, because I quite enjoy reading the posts on the maths forums and it'd be great to get some more people on them :)

Cheers.

The maths challenge is a very good idea, and some good fun! The questions ARE hard, it makes it difficult for younger people to try, so, putting them off doing it. If you could make it simple, then, that would be really good

I think what I'm going to try to do is do two questions; one hard, and one fairly easy so that it appeals to all. If you haven't seen the existing questions, have a look in the Competition forum in the maths category.

There's another thing I'm working on atm, and that's to create some proper math typesetting on here using a latex renderer. What we've got atm is mimeTeX, which is okay, but I don't like the quality of the images, and I think it's very constrictive; not being able to leave spaces, for example, is a major pain.

I've created a primitive latex renderer, and I'm now working on just beefing it up a bit for proper integration with vB (if faf/blike decide they want to use it).

I've created a primitive latex renderer' date=' and I'm now working on just beefing it up a bit for proper integration with vB (if faf/blike decide they want to use it).[/quote']

That'd be perfect. PM me about it when you're ready

the problem is there are too many forums and sub forums in here. so it takes ages to browse everything

Truth, but some people prefer it. There are tools available (active topics, new posts) to help you sort out what's new and what's not. But I think you're right.

That might work. Keep the General Maths and Competition forums, merge Modern Algebra, Calculus and Number Theory and call it Analytical Mathematics, merge Stats and Geometry and put it under Applied Mathematics.