Home Chemistry/Science.

YT2095

here`s a short vid presentation done by a fella I know from elsewhere on the internet.

It addresses the issue of the demise of the Chemistry Set as well as a few public misconceptions (and there are Many!).

http://blip.tv/file/1040283

as a Scientist/Author he`s recently published a book: http://www.makershed.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9780596514921

that may be of some interest to a few here, it`ll also contain pictures of home Labs and experiments done by a few friends of mine as well.

it makes a Very refreshing change to see Home Chemistry and Science presented in a Positive light for a change, rather than the witch hunt and vilification shown in the media.

Can Home Science make a come-back?

interesting. TBH I never knew that home chemistry sets were perceived as negative (at least the more harmless experiments). I assumed that it was more due to the fact that most perceive it as uncool or prefer video games.

But then, being responsible for lab safety in our labs I do see that untrained people starting with highly toxic/explosive/whatever compounds might put themselves (and maybe others) at risk.

Maybe someone should provide a (certified) safety instruction for anyone interested in setting up a home lab?

I remember how around 10 years ago my dad brought me a chemistry set from the U.S., it had around 40 different chemicals and ribbons of various metals etc. Such days are indeed past now, but I for one certainly hope that home science makes a comeback.