Can atom annihilate by 58 nuclear megatons to nothing?

well, i'm sure you have heard of einsteins equation E=mc^2

this is the perfect time to apply that equation(assuming negligible momentum in the system beforehand).

E is the energy released when a mass, m, is annihilated. as 1kg of antimatter annihilates with 1kg of normal matter, we have 2kg that gets converted to light.

the '2kg worth' just means the amount of light energy you'll get for converting 2kg of mass to energy. if i said it in joules it would be a very very large number. and also note that his doesn't mean that the light has a mass of 2kg.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and 2kg worth of photons.

Which would work out at (approximately): 180,000,000,000,000,000 joules :eek:

yeah, the 4kilos left over would likely be vaporised.

Yes, although a bit of an understatement. Not only would your 4kg be vaporised, but I think most of the Earth too. :D>:D

Which would work out at (approximately): 180,000,000,000,000,000 joules :eek:

Yes, although a bit of an understatement. Not only would your 4kg be vaporised, but I think most of the Earth too. :D>:D

Actually no, that's about 43 megatons, it wouldn't even be as powerful as Tsar Bomba. It'll be quite a while before we'll have antimatter weapons capable of vaporizing the Earth to any noticeable extent. :-(

Edit: Huh? Where did you get your extra megatons from, insane_alien? :P Or did I mess up my calculations?