Experiment: Spare Change in Potential

I don’t know what about you, but I have a box I keep my change in. I’ve bene thinking for a while what I can do with that change - buy a boat, rent a jetski, get a trip on those cool X-Planes that go up to space, etc etc. Big plans for small money, I know, but.. I’ll keep on dreaming.

Now, though, you too have something to do with your extra nickels and pennies you keep safe for future plans: You can do science with them! Yay!

(Read more and watch the video...)

Do you have anything to say? Wish to discuss the experiment? Ask questions or criticize the method? Post and debate here!

Please don't forget you need to register to be able to post.

"With pennies... nickels... and metallic %#$@&*..."

What exactly is that metallic thing you mentioned at ~1:52 in?

It sounded like you said "metallic bird seed" to me, with the audio all reminding me of the scene from Ghostbusters where Sigourney Weaver asked the little squirrly guy if he was the key master. ;)

I actually said "Metallic clips" I think, but it doesn't matter much since I didn't use them eventually..... :P (lucky I didn't bend over the box to look at the other compartment while the clip FLEEEWWWW up. That could've been... interesting... :P )

• 2 months later...

Question with this (maybe it doesnt matter though) but the pennies you used, when were they minted?

I ask because in 1982 they changed the composition from 95% copper and 5% Tin and Zinc, to 99.2% zinc, and .8% copper.*

I believe this would effect your outcome slightly, depending if the pennies you were using were either 95% copper or 99% zinc with copper plating.

*in 1982 both types are present, anything 1981 and prior will be 95% copper, while anything 1983 or later will be 99% zinc. However, you can tell the difference between the two by weight. copper cents will be 3.11 grams, while zinc ones will be 2.5 grams.

Edited by Mag

That's an excellent point, I remember reading about it only after doing the experiment.. so I can't tell you (the pennies I've used in the experiment are .. well.. scattered throughout Manhattan, most likely).

This would work great with either Zinc or Copper, though, but I wonder if one would give an advantage of the other.. can't say, since chemistry isn't my strong side, so I'll have to do some research.

Anyone has any ideas? Would there be any significant difference between using either type of pennies (or mixing them, even, that might've happened in my experiment since I wasn't aware of it as I set it up)?

While I cannot speak to the issue of the chemistry differences, I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that you very likely used pennies minted after '82 since banks take old money out of circulation every so often.

While I cannot speak to the issue of the chemistry differences, I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that you very likely used pennies minted after '82 since banks take old money out of circulation every so often.

I'm going to have to disagree, on the bank part.

Banks dont often take old pennies (cents) out of circulation. They will take older, silver coins out of circulation however, as well as old notes (paper money).

Chances are, that out of all the pennies she used/had, probably 90% or more were Zinc (just my personal estimate). Just take a look at your piggy bank, and see what you have. You'll probably have cents from the 70's in there (depending how many total cents you have).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.