smoking

Dudde

I believe wholeheartedly that smoking is bad for you, but I have certain friends who are convinced that there are beneficial side effects (prevention of altzhiemers, etc.)

I know this area of science like the back of my head, so I throw this question to you guys

You should ask them to cite studies showing those effects... I sure haven't heard of any (besides effects like weight loss associated with any stimulant), and we've covered it quite thoroughly in my drugs class.

Just explain to them how a higher percentage of smokers die of causes related to smoking than heroin addicts die from causes related to heroin.

Any miniscule benefits are signficantly outweighed by the harm the 400 carcinogens in a cigarette cause. Trying to justify their drug habit with "beneficial side effects" for the most deadly substance in society (includingt ALL illegal drugs) is the last refuge of a junkie.

Yea ive heard of smoking preventing some stuff too, like alzimeirs. It also helps you concentrate etc.

But as i have been smoking for five years, theres no way that the benefits out weigh the pit falls

Yes, there are these benefits- neuroprotective effects, lower rate of Alzheimer's, and so on.- likely due to nicotine's effects on the acetylcholine systems of the brain (these neurons that nicotine acts upon are the neurons that are most effected by Alzheimer’s). The interesting part is that lower rates of Alzheimer's disease are found in people that used to smoke but have quit, as well as people that continued to smoke. You might tell your friends that quitting now will not stop the beneficial actions.

Besides, as others already pointed out, the risks outweigh the potential benefits by orders of magnitude.

While I would say anyone who claims protection against Alzheimer's is rationalizing, quality of life is a factor. For the schizophrenic who is self-medicating the risks may not outweigh the benefits. For the non-schizophrenic who still enjoys smoking the benefits may still outweigh the risks.

I concur also, as a smoker of 26 years constantly, I`ve not noticed any ill effects personaly, and have much anecdotal evidence from longtime smokers that have quit on a whim and been struck by all manor of illness, from diabetes (the most common) to Chronic Asthma. however, I know of a good many other that have illness as a direct result of smoking and still continue also. the stray benefit that may favor a minority genetic type will NOT out weight the majority types and what kills them as a result of smoking.

Anyone with a little common sense should know NEVER to even start or entertain the idea of smoking, take your chances elsewhere with whatever life and gentics has planned for you, don`t make trouble for youself!!!

sure, you may be able to cross a road blindfolded, but would you do it deliberately?