Anybody into Bird genetics?

TransomicAves

OK...

I want to isolate the genes coding for some non-carotenoid polyenal lipochromes, & transfer them to another genus...

Isolation & identification has been done, so I guess I'd be able to copy that, but I want to know how to go about finding the genes.

Unfortunately, there's not much info on the www re. bird genetics (???), and yes, it's clear that creating transomic birds is not easy.

But the first step is getting from the Lipochromes to the relevant genes, then I'd address the transfection issue...

Crazy !?!? but that's my aim...

creating transgenomic organisms is never easy. For multicellular eukaryotes like birds it's downright impossible without the right equipment and training.

I couldn't help you, because I don't know how to do it myself, but inserting genes into chromosomal DNA is tough because you have to get it in there during the development stages of the embryo, so the genes will copy in every cell. And even then, you have to make sure you have the locus controlling region so the gene is expressed in the right tissues. (and we don't even know how all this biochemistry works yet)

It's far easier to knockout or point mutations for existing genes, from what I understand. But that doesn't seem like it's what you want to do.

Yes, I am well aware that my field of interest is not exactly going to be a walk in the park, it's not as if I am only intending to create violet glowing yeast cells ! (And even that is not that easy...)

That is why I intend to take it one step at a time: First I need to figure out how to work back from the end products (Lipochromes)...

For the rest, I do have some ideas, whether it would be of value - I'd worry about that later...

also, I'm not sure how the laws work in Australia, but you're probably going to need to get permission to make eukaryotic vertebrates with recombinant DNA. Without a university to back you up, it could take a while to get all the right permissions.

First, what ecoli said, you are likely not allowed to do that. Secondly, a lab needed to create transgenic animals is extremely expensive.

Third, there is no gene for lipochrome, simply because it is a lipid. You need to add the genes required for synthesis as well as relocation. Quite often such complex heterologous expressions do not work well even in simple organism, much less in higher eukaryotes. I do not know lipochrome synthesis pathways, but in a bird that does not normally produce it, I can easily imagine that it may mess up the lipid metabolism.

If this intended as a though experiment, I would recommend reading up on lipochrome synthesis in birds.

Thanks CharonY,

Re. the expenses, I will manage. I intend to purchase some equipment (e.g. Labx), & to make as much as possible.

The Lipochromes are: eichosanonenal, octadecaoctenal, Hexadecaheptenal & tetradecahexenal ; and yes, I will need to do quite a bit of reading. Any suggestion where to find more info relating to Lipochrome synthesis ???

• 3 months later...

Are you also planning to market this genus you come up with?

OK...

I want to isolate the genes coding for some non-carotenoid polyenal lipochromes, & transfer them to another genus...

Isolation & identification has been done, so I guess I'd be able to copy that, but I want to know how to go about finding the genes.

Unfortunately, there's not much info on the www re. bird genetics (???), and yes, it's clear that creating transomic birds is not easy.

But the first step is getting from the Lipochromes to the relevant genes, then I'd address the transfection issue...

Crazy !?!? but that's my aim...