Relative Motion

Klaynos

Really, what's your point?

That's the last one, I promise. ;)

Cap'n Refsmmat, I am going to buy a power ball lottery ticket.

Could you help me out, please? What are the winning numbers? ;)

Edited by Motor Daddy
multiple post merged

Why's that? If you give me a situation with clearly defined parameters (the train's going at a constant velocity, etc.) I can predict what will happen next. Is that unreasonable?

Yes, very unreasonable, because you are basing the ball's velocity on the train's velocity (distance and time traveled) after the ball is released. The ball's velocity is not dependent on the trains velocity when it is laying on the 100 meter mark on the tracks.

From every reference frame except the train's the ball is stationary at that point, unless a squirrel comes along and thinks it's a nut. From every reference frame, only one object is moving and it is moving at a constant velocity.

How am I basing the ball's velocity on the train's velocity?

From every reference frame except the train's the ball is stationary at that point, unless a squirrel comes along and thinks it's a nut. From every reference frame, only one object is moving and it is moving at a constant velocity.

How am I basing the ball's velocity on the train's velocity?

I asked you the distance between the ball and the train after 1 second. You said 20 meters. 10 seconds-200 meters, 1 hour-72 KM.

Fine, that's the distances if the train continues to travel 20 m/s, so the ball's velocity is 20 m/s using the train as a reference, as long as the train remains at a constant velocity of 20 m/s.

The only way your math works and the ball's velocity remains 20 m/s relative to the train is if the train remains at 20 m/s, as the ball is not moving reference the tracks.

If the train slows, stops, or does anything to change the distance and time after the ball is released, you have to change the ball's velocity, and therefore, you have to change the scenario of what you say the velocity of the ball was when thrown off the train relative to the train.

We are not measuring the future.

What is the ball's velocity when it's released (relative to the train), when the train is traveling 20 m/s? 20 m/s you say? So you are HOPING, PRAYING, EVEN WISHING that the train remains at 20 m/s to support your answer.

If the train stops 1 second after release 20 meters from the ball laying on the track at the 100 meter mark, at that 1 second mark your answer will be correct. If the clock keeps ticking (as those pesky clocks keep doing), your answer has to change, and it's too late, as you told me the ball was released at 20 m/s relative to the train.

The train is on the tracks, and the timer is ticking, 2 seconds, 3 seconds, 4 seconds, and the train is not gaining distance from the ball. That puts you between a rock and a hard place, wouldn't you say?

The ball's velocity does not depend on the trains motion. We are not measuring the future.

When you tell me the ball had a zero velocity and the train had a 20 m/s, you are not basing your answer on the future, only the past. The trains future motion doesn't affect the ball's velocity when it is relative to the track, nor does the tracks, because the ball is on the tracks, and so is the starting line. The distance doesn't change, nor does the time when compared to the tracks, but your way depends on the trains velocity, and we are talking about the ball's velocity, not the train's.

You have no idea what the train will do in the future after you release the ball relative to the train, so you have no idea what the ball's velocity is relative to the train, unless you guess or tell me what happened in the past, but that wouldn't include the train's motion, as the train has no motion in the past, just actual distance traveled and actual time elapsed.