Music Suit

Rom

Been doing a compulsory Enterprise module for the last few months. One of the projects was based on idea stimulation, just trying to get the creative juices going. At the end of it I presented a fun product concept riddled with both technical and marketing problems. -A Music Suit!

Full design and mass production would require endless funds, time and effort, all for a big risk. So all I want to do is make 1 model. Basically, its just a wetsuit (not entirely necessary) with lots of movement detectors strapped to the limbs, fingers etc. The original concept was for use on 'garageband' and as a general input device for computers (Minority report anyone..?). There is a patent already taken out for a midi based system (and i think Nokia made a spoof suit for publicity). I propose using sets of synthesizers connected to mercury movement detectors (or a random assortment of theremin for comedy value).

I think I can easily get full lab access to build it. As a typical student, Im strapped for cash, so this thing has got to be as cheap as it can be. On the other hand, making a 'digital one-man-band' is kind of a once in a lifetime thing.

Open to any ideas, improvements, questions, pros, cons, links, etc..

Let me know if someone has actually built one already! I haven't been able to find any REAL music suits. And the infra-red glove developed in Leeds doesnt count (far more complicated than it needs to be!)!!

Cheers

Not sure if this is useful information, but my first thought was controlling MIDI via bluetooth, in fact this method is becoming very popular, using Wii controllers as MIDI triggers via Reaktor, here's a link...

http://createdigitalmusic.com/tag/wii/page/2/

I'll post more later, if I think of anything, bit busy at the moment.

From the sounds of it, movement in the suit translates to music. Sounds like a full body Guitar hero/rock band/ DDR kind of thing. Could be neat if you can get it to work... though how you would control the thing in 3d space is beyond me. Joint movement, perhaps?

use strain gauge strips rather than just mercury tilt switches, you can get much more information and control out of them.

they can even be used directly on an old type synth by jacking into the VCO, VCF or VCA.

if you want to go Digital then a simple A to D converter is all you need.