Batteries

Cap'n Refsmmat

I was fooling around with a 9V battery recently, sticking graphite across the top, but the label said it could explode. How is that? :confused:

Oh, and one of my teachers said if you ingested the battery acid it would kill you and there's nothing they can do about it. :eek: Is that true (I doubt it)?

well, shorting out any battery may cause over heating and as a result a build up of pressure that may lead to a containment rupture, but it will NOT "EXPLODE" in the detonation sense of the word, it will be a purely mechanical effort :)

as for the second part, it would all depend on WHAT battery you ingested (assuming you could acheive this in the 1`st place)!?

alot of batteries don`t infact involve "acid" of any sort :)

a PP3, well you may have no worries about them :)

the worst you`ll get is Potassium Hydroxide in you, that will then neutralise to Potassium Chloride (a salt substitute, for those on a low sodium diet) when it reaches your stomach acid HCL(aq), far from harmfull :)

and certainly NOT an acid! although it is VERY corrosive and so care must be taken when handling such materials, however it is NOT TOXIC :)

doing that as a quick test is fine, making a habit of it or doing it for "fun" indicates psychological problems! :)

especialy when done to the point that you risk consumming the unit or parts of it! LOL :))

You can make batteries with nails, pennies and limes and tequila.

The tequila is so the limes don't go to waste. I wonder if you could hook enough up to fry a criminal in a chair and later toast the departed.

PS dont eat lithium batteries.

Just aman

1.5 volts rectaly inserted may indeed kill, but it will not be as a result of electrocution, it will cause damage to the colon by electrolysis over time and create a possible rupture resulting in peritinitus, (blood poisoning due to Crap being introduced to the blood stream via the perineal cavity)

I use the word "Crap" as another euphemism :)