mp3 to png trick

Illuminati

Hey guys-

So I've been pretty bored so far this summer and have been dicking

around on the internet when I came upon a really neat trick. Turning an

mp3 into a png.

Check it out, I've added links to 4 different png's for you to try.

CONVERTING AN MP3 TO A PNG:

1. Open your mp3 in a sounds editor and reduce the quality so that the

file is smaller than whatever websites file size limit is that you want to

upload to. (completely optional)

2. Save the file as an mp3, then rename it to "XYZ.raw" (you must have

"Hide extensions for known file types" unchecked in the folder options to

do this)

3. Open the file in photoshop, and save it as a PNG.

CONVERTING BACK TO SOUNDFILE:

1. Open the PNG in photoshop and save it as a .RAW file.

2. Rename the file to "XYZ.mp3"

3. Enjoy.

I gave each file an arbitrary name, no need to worry, this was only to

keep you guessing before you opened the song. Whats really neat about this

is that the file properties remain, such as the name of the band and song

name so even though it's file name is "1.png', once converted and opened in winamp, the file properties remain. (File 3 was shrunk in a music editor, I didn't have the

patience to do the others)

This whole thing is very interesting to me, I've done some experiments with photoshop just to try and see the parameters of what we're working with. I created a new file and just added a bunch of noise which is what the png looks like, however when converted nothing happens. So I'm curious about what makes these files special and different especially since you can draw over the png and it'll screw up the song with weird clicks and distortion.

Check it out and lemme know what you guys think especially regarding any theories on how this works.

I've added the links for all the png's for you guys to try out and share with other people.

1: http://www.box.net/shared/o6w2m2jy88

2: http://www.box.net/shared/w49jhjuw40

3: http://www.box.net/shared/l58j2dce80

4: http://www.box.net/shared/1t7zh65ss0

It doesn't sound like anything is actually happening to the file. In other words, you're getting the same thing as if you simply renamed the extensions from MP3 to RAW and then to PNG. Nothing's actually happening to the data. It just seems like something's happening to it because Photoshop opened the file and "converted" it with the save-as command. But of course, as you say, if you tamper with the data while it's in Photoshop you can screw it up good.

Back in the old days (when men were men and computers were nervous) we used to open binary files in binary editors and tamper with the bits all the time. Then they got too big, and we discovered video games.

But some programs still have the functional capability of opening binary files of any format. Word will actually do this, but it can cause the computer to freak out as it tries to interpret the code. It's typically done with "real" editors like VI, etc. Binary editors are built into most programming environments (IDEs) these days as well.

Back in the old days (when men were men and computers were nervous) we used to open binary files in binary editors and tamper with the bits all the time. Then they got too big, and we discovered video games.

Wow, so was it like a totally world changing event when PONG came out? :D

<sorry, I couldn't help myself>