Science News

But there's really not a good place now to post links to current news pieces. It doesn't need to drive the front page, just be a location that's topic appropriate for current, science related news.

A story I saw today about a letter from Einstein made me think about where to put news stories about famous people that pop up in the media. I think 'Current Events' would be a good catch all for such articles.

The majority of newsworthy science articles I've posted i.e after the demise of the news sub-forum, tend not to spark much discussion. What discussion there is, if you can all it that, are comments such as 'that's amazing, thanks for sharing', or 'wow, what will science come up with next', or words to that effect.

I certainly wouldn't mind the news sub-forum being reintroduced, for a place for informing, rather than debating.

The basic problem is you can go to BBC Nature or sciencemag, or where ever, and read the stories yourself.

I think an alternate plan would be post poor articles that deal with science, and pick them apart. That would get people talking and thinking and all that jazz.

The basic problem is you can go to BBC Nature or sciencemag, or where ever, and read the stories yourself.

This is actually as it should be on copyrighted news pieces. On these it would be convenient to post a Fair Use extract here as a lead in with a link to the story for people to go there and read it themselves while beginning a discussion thread here on that particular news piece.

On non-copyrighted works like public news releases from government sites and universities the entire article could be posted here for discussion. On these I still recommend a link to the source as a courtesy and declaration that someone is not claiming the work as their own.

That's true. It does seem a little pointless when you put it like that. I may as well start a thread with links to a bunch of RSS feeds, and be done with it...there you go, knock yourself out.

I think an alternate plan would be post poor articles that deal with science, and pick them apart. That would get people talking and thinking and all that jazz.

That sounds like a much better suggestion, I don't think we'll be too hard pressed to find poor sci journalism, there's a veritable ocean of bad articles out there.

On these I still recommend a link to the source as a courtesy and declaration that someone is not claiming the work as their own.

That's a given on here, isn't it ?